Muppet Christmas Carol origin

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
With the release of MCC so close to Jim's passing, does anyone know if at least the germ of the idea for the movie might have originated with Jim?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
From my understanding, it was not.

In 1991, the Hensons announced plans to do holiday-specific Muppet specials to re-introduce the characters. A Halloween special and a Christmas special were planned. Somewhere down the line, Disney decided they'd get more mileage out of a theatrically released version of the Christmas special. MCC was that special.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Muppets are never going to get a Halloween special, are they? They have more Christmas stuff than any other franchise.

I wonder what the original version of MCC was to be. I bet the TV special was more Muppety... I really do like the movie, but I think they got everything done better with MTI... especially the new characters. I loved MCC's Ghost of Christmas Present... but I didn't care for the creature shop style Past and Future.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Muppets are never going to get a Halloween special, are they? They have more Christmas stuff than any other franchise.

I wonder what the original version of MCC was to be. I bet the TV special was more Muppety... I really do like the movie, but I think they got everything done better with MTI... especially the new characters. I loved MCC's Ghost of Christmas Present... but I didn't care for the creature shop style Past and Future.
Yeah, I agree, MTI has the Muppets being themselves, even while playing roles from classic literature, while to me MCC was just CC with Muppets thrown in. MTI has a lot more of the Muppet's brand of humor fans love. On a side note, I would love to see a Muppets Halloween special, although I think the closest we'll ever get is the Vincent Price episode of TMS, which also happens to be my all time fav episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MCC's only real fault was being the first major project without Jim, not to mention the loss of Richard as well, and they were wondering just where the Muppets stood in their own film. Making Gonzo and Rizzo the narrators perked the movie up... but I still don't think calling it, in name only, Fozziewigg's Rubber Chicken factory was very Muppet like or even Fozzie like... I kinda wish they made known Muppets the Ghosts, but some of the characters who were perfect had yet to be recast. Sweetums would have made a wonderful Ghost of Christmas Present... or even Yet to come.

Other than Kermit's odd role in MTI, I think that was the film where they made a bigger stretch. They had room to have a lot more fun with it. Especially the newer pirate characters. They were a LOT more Muppety than the ghosts in the previous film.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
MCC's only real fault was being the first major project without Jim, not to mention the loss of Richard as well, and they were wondering just where the Muppets stood in their own film. Making Gonzo and Rizzo the narrators perked the movie up... but I still don't think calling it, in name only, Fozziewigg's Rubber Chicken factory was very Muppet like or even Fozzie like... I kinda wish they made known Muppets the Ghosts, but some of the characters who were perfect had yet to be recast. Sweetums would have made a wonderful Ghost of Christmas Present... or even Yet to come.

Other than Kermit's odd role in MTI, I think that was the film where they made a bigger stretch. They had room to have a lot more fun with it. Especially the newer pirate characters. They were a LOT more Muppety than the ghosts in the previous film.
Yeah, don't know why critics liked MCC so much more than MTI; MTI was much more original in my opinion. I loved the pirate Muppets like Mad Monty and Clueless Morgan, and I especially loved the running gag around the trio of Old Tom, Real Old Tom, and Dead Tom:crazy:.

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
How about Uncle Deadly as the Ghost of Christmas Future? I bet if it were made today, that would have been the choice.

zoebell

Reaction score
i actually think that's what makes MCC a holiday staple now. the fact that it was also a good version of a christmas carol and not just a muppet movie

that's why i love it personally. more than MTI- i don't think that one is that great

Princeton

Reaction score
Originally, the MCC ghosts were going to be Piggy as Christmas Past, Scooter as Christmas Present (which would have been amazing!), and Gonzo as Christmas Yet to Come (which was only decided on for the incredibly cheap sight gag of his 'beak' poking out from under the hood). Sounds good on paper, but would've gotten old really fast. And seriously, the final designs of the ghosts aren't that bad. I find it really hypocritical to consistently dump on the ghosts not being Muppety enough but in the same breath sing the praises of Dark Crystal.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Originally, the MCC ghosts were going to be Piggy as Christmas Past, Scooter as Christmas Present (which would have been amazing!), and Gonzo as Christmas Yet to Come (which was only decided on for the incredibly cheap sight gag of his 'beak' poking out from under the hood). Sounds good on paper, but would've gotten old really fast.
Having the Muppets play the major parts would have gotten old? Not sure I follow you, unless I'm misunderstanding.

And seriously, the final designs of the ghosts aren't that bad. I find it really hypocritical to consistently dump on the ghosts not being Muppety enough but in the same breath sing the praises of Dark Crystal.
Well the Dark Crystal's effects were and are impressive. Whereas that ghost of Christmas Past? Maybe it was a little impressive at the time but it really doesn't hold up as an effect.

And Dark Crystal is Muppety, it's just Creature Shop Muppety, lol.