Mr. Hooper info from those of you who knew him

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, I am 23 (almost 24) so I would have been about 2 years old when he died (I think). I don't remember seeing much of him, but I feel like I know him so well. Whenever I see Sesame Street or listen to songs and things like that, I can still feel his presence. Christmas Eve On Sesame Street is the only visual record I have of him. Him and Bob were very close friends. Bob was the one in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Bob was the one who remembered that Mr. Hooper was Jewish, and wished him a Happy Hannukah.

Splurge

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
you know I remember you mentioning this at YL and I'm wondering where did you find that out?
Caroll Spinney cites that in his book. Also, if you go to a library with back issues of New York Times on microfilm, you can that info in his eulogy. There are many other sources for that info on Will Lee, those are just two prominent ones that come to mind.

Since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, Will Lee was also the acting coach of James Earl Jones.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I'm a bit late but yesterday marked the 25th aniversary of Will Lee's passing.

RyGuy

Reaction score
Back in high school there was a teacher in my Special Education deptment ( I have CP by the way ) I had who I was very close to who I called "Mrs Hooper ". That wasn't her real name( I feel it would not be proper to say her real name on a message board without her consent) She was very kind to me and never got upset at all . She and I did many things that a teacher would not normally do with a student . One time we tape recorded some holiday stories , we even went to the Natural History museum ( her son went too ) she soothed my fear of fire alarms, she was like an "aunt " to me . Stepping in her room was like going into Mr. Hooper store and she had a very soft voice . I cried when she yelled at a student.

Alll in all, she was a very caring individual . We were the "Big Bird and Mr Hooper " of the 90's.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Interesting story but Why did you cry over her yelling at a student let alone even mentioning that fact?

She probably had a reason for that.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I Goofed.

Today is actually the 25th aniversary od his passing.

I thought 2 days ago was the 7th instead of today.