Mouth building suggestion.

intozlight

Reaction score
I just finished a "Glorified Sock" puppet pattern and I substituted 3/8" piece of neoprene for the mouth plate. OMG! this stuff is wonderful. One side has a grip (turned towards the hand). And the other was bonded to the material. The mouth is very expressive and easy to manipulate. I got my material from an old mouse pad but will be finding sheets soon :smile:. The new mouse pads I have found seem a little thin and flimsy, although you may be able to double them.
Hope this helps.
:smile:

puppetise

Reaction score
kool ni used a plasic folder i cut it works great and it goes back to the original position

Jinx

Reaction score
I am very fortunate to work in a factory where we make most of our products from neoprene. It really does make great mouthplates!

The other day I was in WalMart and saw some silicone devices used for handling hot pot-handles. Not like an oven mitt, but, well, like a puppet's mouth! They looked like they could be a great foundation for a mouthplate.

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Thank goodness that I am not the only one that looks at stuff in shops etc, in the light of, 'what bit of a puppet can I make out of that?' . I too used mousemats for my sock puppet, but I have been moving workrooms and have got behind in building and don't know if I will be done by tomorrow!

BorkBork

Reaction score
On the sockpuppet-pattern i tried craft-foam and it works really good for such a small puppet. I can imagine it's not really good for bigger puppets though.

intozlight

Reaction score
Hey Jinx,

Would it be possible to get a sheet of 3/8"? I am finding it hard to order.

:smile:
Director Davies