Misheard Song Lyrics

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering which song lyrics you've misheard, and what you thought they said. There's a good Muppety reason why I'm asking... My wife and I were watching "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas" last night, and I remembered a line from "Barbecue" that I had always misunderstood when I was little. The real line is:

"And the sauce Mama makes just stays there forever if you dare to get it under your nails."

Okay, so I didn't get this when I was little. I thought it was:

"And the Sauce-Mama makes you stay there forever if you dare to get it under your nails."

I thought the "Sauce-Mama" was this actual person who would make you sit at the table indefintely if you made a mess or something like that. Actually, it kind of scared me! :zany:

What other lyrics (muppety or otherwise) have you misheard?

:confused:

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
One of my roommates was notorius for mis-hearing song lyrics. We used to play the "Moulin Rogue" soundtrack alot in our apartment, there is one song where a character sings "I always speak the truth, I always speak the truth" and she was convinced he was saying "I like to make some toast, I like to make some toast" quite humorous :sing:

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
There's this one really long song by my favourite band Blind Guardian called "And then there was silence". One of the lines is "I am the wolf and you're the lamb," which I thought was "I am the woman, you're the man."
:big_grin:

Beebers

Reaction score
One of the more famous ones is in Creedence Clearwater Revival's Bad Moon Risin', when they sing,
"There's a bad moon on the rise."

Most everybody thought they were saying,

"There's a bathroom, on the right."

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy!

There's this one site called www.kissthisguy.com (unfortunately, I don't know if it's been updated for a while, or if it even is still working). It has a bunch of misheard lyrics. Then there's this other site with misheard lyrics from showtunes, but I forget the link. I think if you search for "fla-na-na" it'll come up.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Then there's the Pledge of Allegiance

And to the Republic, for Richard Stands....

Who is this Richard Stands guy?

Jen

Whatever

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
And to the Republic, for Richard Stands....

Who is this Richard Stands guy?
...One nation, under God, invisible...

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Well, here's another one from our house...

In "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel, there's a line that goes

"...going to the candidates' debate."

Well, my wife used to hear the last part as "today's the date," which meant (once we thought about it) that the line would have to be

"...going to the can, today's the date."

:eek: