Misconceptions about your age

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've never known a man to want to keep the name they're born with, it's like breathing, it's not something they sit around thinking about.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well I know Asian traditions are considerably different than North Americans... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the tradition reverse in Japan, in which the groom takes the bride's last name?
No in Japan the bride takes the grooms last name just like in the west. And yes Asian traditions are different. In Korean tradition even though the bride keeps her maiden name the children take the fathers name. However divorce wise in Korea the wife typically leaves the children with the husband. And if she remarries she really doesn't recognize the children from her first marriage as hers. It might seem cruel but that's just how it is. Although I think thats slowly starting to change. However in Japan when a couple divorces the woman can't remarry for 6 months.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's sexist now? I mean personally, it seems like to me that women just keep looking for reasons to "buck the establishment", so-to-speak. They're allowed to vote, they're allowed to wear pants, they're allowed to hold down life-saving jobs, they're allowed to run countries, there's so much they're allowed to do now that they weren't centuries ago, yet it's still not enough to satisfy them?
The attitudes that many men have toward women still have not changed, unfortunately. It takes a very long time for societal attitudes to change.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've never known a man to want to keep the name they're born with, it's like breathing, it's not something they sit around thinking about.
Um because a man has never had to worry about losing their name just because they got married. They take it for granted. A woman can't.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I can tell you in Japan things are changing nowadays most women are career women so marriage isn't as up as it once was. It's not so much the whole get married, have kids and be a stay at home wife anymore.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I wouldn't force any wife of mine to change her name if she didn't want to, however, in the back of my mind, I would hold doubt as to whether she really took the commitment and the marriage seriously if she didn't, because it seems like most women who don't change their name when they get married don't take the entire situation seriously to begin with... y'know, it's like, "Oh, we'll be getting divorced anyway, so when that happens, I'll still have my maiden name"... like, if you really love this person and want to spend the rest of your life with him, why are you worrying about divorce before you're even married?
How many men would ever consider changing their name when they got married? Hah, just ask around. A man's name is who he is, why should he change it when he gets married? Yet a woman has had her name just as long, and if she doesn't change it something's wrong. She doesn't really love him, she's a feminazi, etc. If that's not sexist, I don't know what is.

A pair of my friends recently got married, and they decided to combine their last names. Not hyphenate them, but come up with a new name. Since they're both of (partially) Scottish descent, they combined Quinn and Orr and came up with MacQuinor. They have the right idea: the heck with tradition, make yourselves happy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
How many men would ever consider changing their name when they got married? Hah, just ask around. A man's name is who he is, why should he change it when he gets married? Yet a woman has had her name just as long, and if she doesn't change it something's wrong. She doesn't really love him, she's a feminazi, etc. If that's not sexist, I don't know what is.
Exactly, double standard written all over it.

A pair of my friends recently got married, and they decided to combine their last names.
That's really cool. Reminds me of how John Lennon had his middle name changed to Ono. :wink:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
*Shrug* I guess everyone has their personal preference... I had no problem changing my name when I got married, and thought it was exciting to take his name. My sister and stepmom, however, never changed theirs.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I knew a couple who both kept the girl's last name as a middle name, and the guy's last name as a last name. Which I think is great! If I were a girl, I'd not want to lose my name (and part of my identity).

Also, D'Snowth, regarding feeling that a girl's not fully committed if they don't take the last name, there are loads of guys who won't wear wedding rings...I guess the same should apply?

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Reading the last posts about changing last names when women get married reminded me of how in Doctor Who, The Doctor sometimes calls Rory Mr. Pond, even though he's still a Williams and that's it's his wife, Amy's name.

But going back to misconceptions of my age, I've never had any trouble about it on the internet, but I've had a few in real life. I stopped growing when I was thirteen, about 5 foot 5. So whenever me and my family go to the Highland Show, my mother turns to me and says, "Now, Alice. How old are you again?" and I mumble back, "Thirteen/fourteen/fifteen." It was so we could get in for cheaper.

But it's worse when my younger sister is involved. Keep in mind, she is roughly two or three years younger than me, but is currently 5 foot 8. When I was still in high school, I used to go to this Saturday club for people with learning disabilities and this one Saturday, my mum and my sister helped out. Everyone kept asking who was the eldest between the two of us. :frown: Not cool.