MINDstyle to make 25th Ann. Fraggle figures!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Letter less Fraggle boxes with a window=excellent. So good to have an official word
I wonder if the ones that don't come with the letters will cost more than the ones that do come with the letters. Just because they're limited.

At any rate, if I can find these in stores at some point (or online) I can pick and chose the ones I really want. While I would LOVE to get them all, it's a financial improbability.

That said, I will clearly look out for Marjory, Wembly, Matt, and Sprocket most of all.

Adn as far as busts go... isn't that the only way to really deal with Madam trash Heap? Isn't she basically just a Heap anyway?

Foodie

Reaction score
Does any one know where these things will probably be sold? I'd most likely prefer to buy a case if it guaranteed a complete set. I suppose it's too early to really begin any speculation though. :smirk:

Luke

Reaction score
I wonder if the ones that don't come with the letters will cost more than the ones that do come with the letters. Just because they're limited.
Probably, with the Simpsons PVC's here you pay more for the set .. but you also get an exclusive figure.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Ooh - i love splotches! I call zis one "Cheeken Zoup"!

With Gorg heads, one can always recreate scenes of a Gord down hiding under something peering over a hill of down the well at the Fraggles - but of course if they did the opposite and released Gorg lower halfs (legs and feet) you could either show scale or have the Gorgs running out of their anti-vanishing cream.

I'm in the camp that says they still need to scrap the letters idea altogether and replace it with something else (don't know what off the top of my head though)...not only does it scream "wrong line" and that they're mixing up Sesame and Fraggle, but did the Fraggles even HAVE the same alphabet as humans in the Western world (i'm sure if they did someone can point out a time when someone made a sign with lettering or something) but i seem to remember most Fraggle communication being either in non-word picture signs or characters other than our standard alphabet (or am i mixing up FR with Farscape right now?) If you're going to have a set of characters with letters, at least have a family of characters that actually would know what letters are!

Now that i think about it though, the Fraggles would need to know the same alphabet for Doc to be able to read Matt's postcards and see that they were for Gobo Fraggle - but other than that did we ever see a Fraggle with a printed sign with lettering for example?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think uncle Matt learned enough of the silly creature words to write the names and addresses on the postcard...
And fraggles do use a different lettering, I've seen it many times. I think not many of them know how to write or read however so pictures are still how they write many of their signs, like in the middle ages here :smile:.
Mokey's dairy was in pictures so I think it is also a case of the fraggle race thinking pictures are a more detailed way of writing your feelings/things that happened to you. Boober on the other hand likes to be a more 'just the facts' fraggle so he writes with their letter system in the series :smile:

matleo

Reaction score
hey gang,

Justgot another email from the Mindtyle rep. I had emailed huim about something...can't remember what...I'm guessing pricepoint, and here was his response. I also forwarded his contact info onto Phil to hopefully open up a dialogue between them.

--Matt

MD Young said:
Hello Matthew:

Thanks for your email. I am now in China overseeing creative and production. Everyone here equally shares in the excitement of the Fraggle Rock figures.

As we do not have the final cost of the figures yet, it's important for fans to know that we do not produce figures that are sold to mass at retail. In this case, the figures are produced on a much more limited basis and the cost are more. If anything, we try to balance creative with business to where it makes sense. We all know the last company that did such a great job with the Muppets was not able to get retail to buy into a Fraggle Rock program. As loyal the fans base may be; it is certainly limited -- and retailers are not eager to support it especially when you're talking about a property 25 years old (young). Yet, before everyone criticizes what we are doing, we ask that they consider the only way these figures can ever be produced is for the line to have sales at retail. It is our hope that making the figures available with and without the blocks will keep core fans happy and bring enough sales to ensure future series with new fans. As I mentioned earlier, the blocks simply was a platform to bring Fraggle Rock to new audiences and gain additional sales at retail, who in fact supports such a program.

The quality of our products and limited availabilty can only be produced with a certain price tag. We're all collectors first and approach our projects with the same passion as fans do.

Let me know your thoughts as we alwys look forward to hearing from fans in our efforts to better serve the marketplace.

Best,

MD Young

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. I like MINDstyle's products and appreciate how forthcoming they've been lately.

I know that I'm a Fraggle fan (actually just a moderate one compared to the folk around here, but that's to be expected) and see things through a fan perspective. However, I believe there's an incorrect association between retailer support and consumer support. There's this perception that keeps being perpetuated that Fraggle figures would sell well that I don't agree with. I understand the argument, but I think MINDstyle will be pleasantly surprised by their sales. :coy:

I still wish the Fraggle figures were being handled by a company that produced higher volumes. I also think the letters inclusion serves to alienate fans of the program (and there are more than many realize). There are other thoughtful ways to make the bases collectible - have them interconnect in different ways to make locking Fraggle cave pieces, have each base be a part of a bigger shape or have them color-coated differently. The letters thing is a little uninspired for a company of MINDstyle's quality. :busy:

That being said I am very excited about these and hope that I won't have to chase any chase figures down. I also hope MINDstyle will grow more confident with the Fraggle line. It appears that this first batch is self contained, but with a potential for growth.
:excited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems to me like there are blidnboxed and non-blindboxed versions, and that the blindboxe versions will have the colectable letters. I am not too clear on that, but if I am right, then the letter blocks are still a stupid idea. If the letters are only in the blindboxed versions, then people won't know when they'll have a complete set of the letters. Assuming that the letters are supposed to create a "collect them all"-type interest.

Foodie

Reaction score
As long as they're easily attainable, I'll be pickled tink. :smirk: :excited: :coy:

justairbagit

Reaction score
Hello every one! I sent an email to mindstyle last night looking for news on a release date and this is what they said.

Thanks for the email.

We are waiting the Licensor approval.

Certainly we are looking to have the products to market before the holidays in celebration of the anniversary.

Best,
MD