MC Dorms Reopening Discussion

Beauregard

Reaction score
I too agree that MC Dorms should remain at MC. Sure, me and Christy have shifted MopFam to a new site, but MopFam always a separate entity to MC...Whereas the Dorms are truly a part of it.

One question that I do have is why do we need to provide Birthdays for the characters we have with us? Certainly it's fun to have birthday celebrations, but the reason I haven't been as involved with more recent Dorm based threads was almost completely because I could never remember the birthdays of Beau, Bobo and Bean...and was potentially too lazy to do a little research for a game...Hehe

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's your own little problem there Bo. SST characters have birthdays, and to continue the illusion/thought that the Muppets are real is to have the characters you room with have their own birthdays as well. After all, any person you would room with in a real dormhouse have birthdays right? Hope this helps. :zany: *Tosses water balloon at the custodian.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I would vote for the subforum idea. However, as a former tax preparer (well, a paid one, anyway), an alternative would be to keep them up for 3 semesters and then delete them if archival is also a problem. Remember when I tried to make the blueprints? There are a couple of things (features, characters, etc) that I only learned were no longer active AFTER I drew it up, grrrr. (Just kidding ...) Focusing on more recent features would be incredibly helpful.

If it COULD be sub-forumed, isn't it possible to make it private? In other words, only invited members could participate? That could stop the random walk-ins (who weren't invited first, I hasten to add). *Personally, random walk-ins didn't bother me, as I'm used IRL to random people just showing up ... just chased a bunny out of our garden this morning :stick_out_tongue:*

christyb

Reaction score
That's why I wasn't sure. I know Phil has little Moppets and real life to take care of. That and MC runs a totally different format than what I'm an admin of. :smile: Go with the subforum. We probably shoulda made that switch oh...forever ago. Maybe around page 100? :stick_out_tongue:

Also, while we are one it. Can we breathe life into that games forum?

Keep us old timers able to walk in. I may disappear for weird chunks but I know many of us like coming back for visits. If I wind up darting out and not coming back and I find I can't come back? Well I'll let duty and David Cook pull me back out.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, the private forum sounds good... But that would also possibly deter others from seeing the threads and submitting requests for residency. In other news, I just posted the possibility of creating the subforum in the Mods section... So as of right now it's out of my hands, waiting to see what response I get from the main MC master. Will report as soon as I get a reply. Stay tuned.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ziffled by one of my cyber-sisters. The problem with that Christy is that the infamous First Spammer Duo of 2006—and if you know your MC history, you definitely who these two are—irrevicably made it so that the open door policy the dorms originally had become closed doors instead, which is why the rules are now in place and why people have to submit application forms and be admitted for residency in order to post in the threads. Out of respect to my friendship/kinship with you and Bo I allow you to walk right back in as visiting guests, extended to other old-timers who just want to drop in for a moment like Kyle or Diana... Hope this helps explain things a bit better.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
We could (if it's possible) have a pre-approved list of said "old-timers" so they can still "walk right in and post as visiting guests" however, I do not know if the forums are capable of that. And for the general public, still keep the application forms and whatnot.

Again, not sure if it's even capable of that, but perhaps if it is; it might be a good way to go.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I love the subforum idea! No offense Ed, I love Facebook as much as anyone else, but at the risk of being over-dramatic, MC is our home! Like Ailie said, historical and histerical!
If it is private, would that also mean that people couldn't read it? I know before I became a member of MC, I used to love to lerk on the forums. That was when it was first forming, and it was fun to watch it take shape. Ah, remoniscences... But the point is, that's how I knew I wanted to join as soon as I could.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the discussion. I'm in agreement of keeping the dorms here (mainly because I can't access Facebook at work) and I love the idea of a "sub forum" of types if that could work. Also in favor of the three semester idea. I don't have much to add other than I really appreciate all your efforts with this Ed and I will totally be more invoved in the the re-launch. I miss playing around with it!

christyb

Reaction score
Oh I remember my MC history. All too well. I also know. If you guys continue to let the past rule this place it's gonna lose more magic. Trust me from experience. I let the past keep me from somewhere I love. Hmm..to bad we can't have the best of both worlds..no that isn't a Hannah Montana cue. :stick_out_tongue: