MC Dorms Reopening Discussion

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Perhaps you're all aware that the MC Dorms closed down for a bit of a breather. Well, I did have plans to reopen them... But because there are some questions, I thought I'd share them here and get your thoughts.

My intentions were/are to create a new Muppet College (MC) Dorms group on Facebook. It would be a closed global group, meaning that anyone can read the posts, just like on the thread, but admissions would be via invitation or request with my approval of course. This would henceforth eliminate the review committee—which will also be disbanded should the thread on the forums be reopened. Also, once admitted, members would be able to post in the various threads.

This leads to the other major change... Dorms life would/will be divided into three main periods or terms: May-August, September-December, and January-April. This would serve a two-fold purpose: 1) allow dorms life/thread to flow in a more concise manner, moving to a new thread for the following term; and 2) anyone who shows 0 participation after being admitted to the dorms at the start of a term all the way to the start of the next would be deemed as perhaps not entirely fit for dorms life, their position vacated. After all, if you sign up for the game, I'd hope you'd make the effort to participate. It doesn't have to be every single other post every single day, but just a few posts once in a while are nice to show you're still with us.

The shortening or creation of these periods does make me a little worried. The reasoning is thus. On MC, we have the main sections, and threads get posted there, no questions asked. On Facebook, though threads can't be locked/closed, we would be able to move from one to the other, in proper ensuing manner. If you pursue my logic, there'd be a May 2009 term thread, September 2009 thread, January 2010 thread, and so on. The concern is that such splitting would populate and dominate the Games section's first page with nothing but dorms' threads at some point. The advantage with Facebook is that only the currently active top three threads are displayed at a given time. If you pursue this logic, at one point all that would be visible would be the May 2010 thread, then January 2010 thread, and finally September 2009 thread. Additionally, the rules, application form and roster would be more easily viewable at the top of the page, which would simplify new admission requests.

So there it is... LMK how you feel about the proposal, whether you see the betterance of moving to FB or if it should remain on MC's forums and if so how to solve the riddles of over-lengthyness/eventual over-population of individual threads.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I agree; I think the dorms do just fine on the MC forums. But I do see your point about the dorms threads taking over the Games forum at some point.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I'm also in agreement that the Dorms should stay at MC. I know that I wasn't the most active person in the game, especially in the past year or so. But if it were to go on Facebook I know I would become even less active than I already am, to the point where it probably wouldn't make sense for me to even join up.

-Kim

christyb

Reaction score
All good ideas. However, I'd keep them here on MC but use the system you have set up. I"m pretty sure when the dorms started. Okay never mind I AM sure when we started the dorms we didn't think it'd be this much of a success or long lasting. Change is good. Your proposed changed are awesome. I vote keep them here though. My suggestion instead of them taking over isn't there an Archiving system that the program that uses the MC boards can do? that way you can archive them and take them off of the main page of games. Less dorm clutter and seem like they are taking over.

Also Ed, just so you know. Merging off of MC isn't easy. As obvious at our attempts on taking the Moppet Family to its new home.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I'm with it staying on these boards. Like Tony & a couple of others said,they don't have Facebook & shouldn't have to join just to participate.I give you credit though,Ed.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
I don't completely understand exactly what you're proposing for the MC Dorms, but I believe a subforum (a forum for just MC Dorms I would guess) is perfect!

It keeps the Games section kinda neat and uncluttered, and gives it it's own little area to thrive in.

I haven't been that active in the Dorms lately, but I aim to really re-join soon I would hope.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... Good stuff. The problem is that the archival and/or subforum suggestions deal with the technical coding of MC itself, and only Phil has access/rully understands that to make any changes. However, the subforum appeals to me as it would lend itself to the modifications to the dorms themselves fitting into how I thought it would work better as a FB group. Will contact the head honcho in our special mod section and see what happens. Cross your fingers.
:batty: No crosses please. *Old joke, anyone know where it's from? *Grin.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ha, ziffled by Kitty-Kat. BTW: Can I have that credit converted into munny for my (fluff) Friend debt?

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Hopefully Phil will hear your plea/question, Ed. That would so totally work on so many levels for the MC Dorms. I'll join up as soon as my wedding is done with. XD I finally realized I have NO TIME for any games until it's (and subsequent honeymoon) is over with.