Make classic Sesame Street available online (petition)

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I think the reason for the lack of classic episodes anywhere is because many of them contain actors or actresses who have passed away over the years. Such actors/actresses include Will Lee (Mr. Hooper), Northern Calloway (David), Alaina Reed (Olivia) and the actor who played Mr. Handford. Airing their appearances today will make young viewers think they are still alive when really they are not. The four episodes from the 1980s that were aired in the HBO package likely does not feature any appearances of the aforementioned cast members, and implies that the episodes had to be screened before they got approved for rebroadcast. Plus, I do recall seeing Susan in Episode 1186, who is reportedly still alive to this day. If she were to pass away, I bet that episode will be pulled off the HBO airwaves too.

Voice actors are exempt from this, since the deceased's successors sound virtually the same.

This might explain the warning label on the Old School DVD sets, which warns buyers of content that would be deemed inappropriate for children, and that may be hinting that the older episodes are now designed for adults who were kids during the show's golden era. Makes me wonder if the Noggin broadcasts of "Sesame Street Unpaved" were aired late at night for the most part?

Last edited:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I think the reason for the lack of classic episodes anywhere is because many of them contain actors or actresses who have passed away over the years. Such actors/actresses include Will Lee (Mr. Hooper), Northern Calloway (David), Alaina Reed (Olivia) and the actor who played Mr. Handford. Airing their appearances today will make young viewers think they are still alive when really they are not. The four episodes from the 1980s that were aired in the HBO package likely does not feature any appearances of the aforementioned cast members, and implies that the episodes had to be screened before they got approved for rebroadcast. Plus, I do recall seeing Susan in Episode 1186, who is reportedly still alive to this day. If she were to pass away, I bet that episode will be pulled off the HBO airwaves too.

Voice actors are exempt from this, since the deceased's successors sound virtually the same.

This might explain the warning label on the Old School DVD sets, which warns buyers of content that would be deemed inappropriate for children, and that may be hinting that the older episodes are now designed for adults who were kids during the show's golden era. Makes me wonder if the Noggin broadcasts of "Sesame Street Unpaved" were aired late at night for the most part?
No...no, no, no, no! The episodes on HBO DO have all the aforementioned humans. Secondly, they're NOT the reason why there was a disclaimer on the Old School DVD's. Some of the episodes involve various different concepts that simply can't be used on any kid shows today.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
No...no, no, no, no! The episodes on HBO DO have all the aforementioned humans. Secondly, they're NOT the reason why there was a disclaimer on the Old School DVD's. Some of the episodes involve various different concepts that simply can't be used on any kid shows today.
Like Buffy breastfeeding Cody or Maria asking for a raise.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
1. Those episodes weren't included on the Old School DVDs.
2. What's wrong with the Maria asking for a raise episode?
1. I was basing it off how, some these episodes wouldn't fit today's preschool needs for education, no matter if they were or weren't included on Old School.
2. Nothing harmful, just was basing off an older forum post about how these wouldn't be made today.