Major Changes in store for Sesame Street Season 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Out of the main Muppet characters you mentioned, I'm surprised Grover isn't there. Has he ever had an official residence on the show? I don't remember if he's had one or not, but I don't think Grover would ever be considered homeless.
In Ernie's Big Mess, he lives in an apartment next to Big Bird's nest area. But books probably don't count.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't see all the pictures before, but I swore that someone said Oscar's going to live in a dumpster/bin. Seems he's in his old "iconic but no one actually uses them anymore" metal can.

The logic question I'd have is, how the heck is Big Bird going to get any privacy without the doors? I'm not heart broken they're gone, nor am I really ecstatic. The street actually looks less rundown without them, and therefore modern enough to be compliant. But how does Bird not feel on display without them? Especially since there's going to be the weird disconnect in episodes without him. With the doors gone, there's none of that "he's at home, just not in the story" benefit of the doubt. I don't know why my mind instinctively went there, but those episodes where there's only like 2 main characters feel really empty. Like after the breakfast scene in MFS deserted.

Then again, logically, the doors feel like the barrier for one of those big city street projects that never gets finished because some developer backs out/runs out of money and leaves a huge blotch on the real estate for the suckers to deal with. You know. The kind where they tore something down in anticipation for something that never happens and they say "the heck with it, let's make it a park. We'll lose developer money, sure, but the property values will plummet and we'll more money that way." That's exactly what Big Bird's area looks like now. Like he made the nest back when they abandoned the project, and since the rest of the street is all gentrified and cleaned up, might as well make a little park area for him to live in.

Of course, if there isn't enough reality subtext for you, city streets do indeed change, and all it takes is for one upscale cupcake bakery to bloat the freaking rent so only Yuppies can live there. That's what happened, certainly, to the neighborhood I grew up in. Then comes the backwards arc when no one actually can afford to live there and businesses close up fast as heck. And like you got an upscale Indian place next to a Blockbuster that's been empty going on 3 years, a few storefronts down from what used to be 1 7/11. If anyone who lives in the Boston area knows what street I'm talking about, by all means shout it out.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I like this set, feeling old-school in some ways like with Hooper's Store feeling more like a lunch counter again and more modern in others with the community center and Abby's garden. I agree with others that Big Bird could use some privacy with a nice new set of doors, though.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Out of the main Muppet characters you mentioned, I'm surprised Grover isn't there. Has he ever had an official residence on the show? I don't remember if he's had one or not, but I don't think Grover would ever be considered homeless.
Keep in mind, we usually only see one side of the street, we hardly ever see the other side of the street, which there may surely be other apartments that other characters live in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Come to think of it, does anyone besides the humans, Ernie and Bert, Oscar, and Big Bird actually live directly on the street? We've seen Snuffy's cave, the Bear family house (well off into the "woods" of New York), the interiors of wherever the heck Cookie, Elmo, and Grover live. I love that idea of them living on the other side of the street. Remember how big and lush those apartment buildings in FTB looked when we got that overall view?

Seems to me that at least those characters live within commuting distance of the main street cast. If anything, they can live on another street in the neighborhood.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And think too, prior to Season 30, the ends of the street weren't blocked, nor was the street turned into something of a cul-de-sac, so the street was shown to be pretty long - each end had a painted flat of a view looking further down a long street, so it could have been too that other residents lived further up or down the street, just not on the particular bend we're used to seeing. Mr. Johnson, for instance, we know his address is 14 Sesame Street.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
I'm hoping that these new changes will allow more characters to appear in more street stories. It seems like they would want to show off all of these new changes. So, that might mean Big Bird and Oscar might get to show up more since they now have totally new digs.

Also, I'm pretty sure the humans of the show are so unimportant to the actual episodes at this point, where they live doesn't matter. They just show up when the story is convenient for them to show up. I mean, how often do Susan and Gordon show up together anymore, much less in their own apartment? At least now that main floor apartment will get some focus put on it now that Elmo's living there. Same with Cookie Monster now living in Bob's old apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.