"Major and important" Muppet announcement coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
WOW! Look at that! For once Disney actually pulls a Warner and actually ACKNOWLEDGES past history but doesn’t just edit it out! That is seriously a shocker coming from someone like them!
Many politically incorrect cartoons were also included in the Walt Disney Treasures line, often with an introduction/disclaimer by Leonard Maltin before the cartoons.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
True, I did forget about those DVDs actually (I got some from the library).

Muppet Master

Reaction score

Looks like the page has gone up in preparation for it being added on the 19th. Important things to note. Their is a trailer which is the fifth seasons intro & people will be happy to know its in the correct aspect ratio.
Also in the details section their is a Content Advisory Warning which states

"This programme includes negative depictions and /or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together".

So by the sounds of things these will be unedited regarding the some of the jokes & will not be stretched. Though still no mention if songs will cut.
While I'm glad the series will be unedited, I gotta say that's it's so gross to see a label like that attached to such a wholesome, fun-loving show. Yes, I'm well-aware that there were a handful of episodes that stereotyped (namely the Spike Milligan and James Coburn oens) but the vast majority of episodes were relatively harmless when it came to those matters.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd rather they cover all their bases and let people know ahead of time there are some episodes with less-than-ideal-socially material.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I'm excited for tomorrow. It has been WAY too long since I've seen the show and, going by the trailer on Disney+, it's gonna look great. Fingers crossed it'll be uncut but I heard somewhere Disney cleared the rights so I'm hopeful :smile:

While I'm glad the series will be unedited, I gotta say that's it's so gross to see a label like that attached to such a wholesome, fun-loving show. Yes, I'm well-aware that there were a handful of episodes that stereotyped (namely the Spike Milligan and James Coburn oens) but the vast majority of episodes were relatively harmless when it came to those matters.
I'd rather they cover all their bases and let people know ahead of time there are some episodes with less-than-ideal-socially material.
You're right about it mostly being harmless fun but stereotypes can hurt. It would probably be to the Muppet Show's detriment if there's no warning. I'm with Oscarfan.

This is what happens when you give everyone access to the internet.
In this day and age, life's too hard if you don't have internet. Besides, it teaches us how offensive stuff can be to others so I welcome feedback before I perpetuate it without realizing.

Steve Arino

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

As we all know here, Disney Plus is scheduled to add all 120 episodes of the hit '70s show "The Muppet Show" to its website TOMORROW.

That being said, here are my Hopes, Prayers and Predictions for "The Muppet Show" on Disney Plus tomorrow.

HOPES: Each episode will be seen for the first time since airing 100% Complete, Uncut, AND Unedited, as originally telecast on the CBS Television Network, including missing numbers from the DVDs of Seasons 1-3.

PRAYERS: Each episode features the original ITC Entertainment logo at the start and end of each episode (ITC having produced/distributed "The Muppet Show" originally for Jim Henson).

PREDICTIONS: Each episode will be showcased in the original 4:3 Screen Quality.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
There's a trailer on the Disney+ page (basically just the season 5 theme song; my guess from Roger Moore's episode) that has the show in 4:3, so I'm 99% sure the episodes will be uncropped. If they do crop them despite the trailer being otherwise... well, that's what I get for trying to guess but, again, I don't think they're gonna change from the trailer.

As for being being uncut, I've HEARD from second hand sources Disney cleared every song so I'm hopeful. That said, I'm not 99% confident like the 4:3 aspect ratio; I'll believe it when I see it or hear from other fans. Shoot, the first episode I'm watching is Vincent Prince since I figured, if EVERYTHING is in Vincent's episode, the odds improve for the other iffy ones (my 2nd will be Christopher Reeve to see if Disney has problem referencing Chris' biggest role).

As for the ITC logos, I'm sure they'll be included but, to be honest, that's the last thing I'm worried about.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
So it’s finally here yayyyyy!!!!

Most of the episodes are available. Here in the UK four episodes are unavailable. The Spike Milligan, John Denver, Brooke Shields & Chris Langham are not there which is a shame though I expect them to come hopefully in the future( apart from the Langham ep due to reasons)

Last edited:

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
Just watched Vincent Price and Christopher Reeve. Let's just say Disney+, a streamer I already think was rich with excellent shows and films, was only improved by the addition of this show. I won't review the actual episodes since I don't have much time but they're classic Muppet madness and made me laugh my butt off several times :smile:

I chose Vincent Price because I knew his episode was missing a song and I thought that would be a good test to see if Disney secured the song rights. They did for Vincent Price and, checking all the available episodes, all but twelve episodes are 27 minutes. The exceptions are Paul Williams at 28, Bernadette Peters at 25, Don Knotts at 22, Cheryl Ladd at 25, Danny Kaye at 25, Roger Miller at 25, Anne Murray at 26, James Coburn at 25, Tony Randall at 25, Hal Linden at 25, Wally Boag at 25, and Buddy Rich at 25.

I've never seen those and I'm likely NOT gonna nitpick them when I do. There are better Muppet fans who will know on sight what's missing and I'll trust them. That said, Disney never claimed to have gotten all the rights (at least in the Disney+ announcements so, while a little disappointing that stuff may be cut, 105 uncut episodes is a decent average (For those questioning my math, keep scrolling :wink: )

Christopher Reeve I picked for two reasons:
1.) If any episode was gonna have potential problems, it'd be the one with MANY references of the Big Blue Boy Scout, up to a glorious gallery of him wearing the blue tights. To my delight, everything was there.
2.) I've seen the episode on YouTube and LOVE it. Christopher missed his calling as a comedic talent :smile:

The shows looked great. It's clear Disney upscaled them and, while they'll never look as good as the Muppet Movie or Caper, the colors and details were very good. Certainly, the best the show has looked and MILES ahead what's on YouTube and torrent sites (uhhh, don't ask me how I know that. Thankfully, I got some deleting to do :smile: ).

So it’s finally here yayyyyy!!!!

Most of the episodes are available. Here in the UK four episodes are unavailable. The Spike Milligan, John Denver, Brooke Shields & Chris Langham are not there which is a shame though I expect them to come hopefully in the future( apart from the Langham ep due to reasons)
US got slightly luckier: we're only missing 3. We don't have Chris Langham and Brooke Shields (season 5) but we got Spike Milligan and John Denver while losing Kaye Ballard (season 1) (hence, why my math above seemed to be off :wink: )

I can understand not showing the Chris Langham episode but the rest got me stumped. I Googled Kaye Ballard and didn't come across any problems and I can't think wrong with Spike, John, or Brooke. Disappointing but... well, we're still better off than those with DVDs. Hopefully, Disney adds them someday and (if the above episodes are indeed cut) uncut versions of the 12 above but, as it stands, we're certainly better off than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.