MAD Magazine to cease publication

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Considering the decline of print publications and the decline of popularity of comic books, this should come as no surprise.

Alfred E. Neuman now has every reason to say "What? Me worry?"

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess in this day and age of overt sensitivity and political correctness, a magazine like MAD would deemed too offensive and insensitive.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It’s sad, but at the end of the day, nothing lasts forever. We enjoyed it for as long as we could.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I loved MAD when I was younger. Besides topical humor, I loved the little visual gags found in the margins. These were the handiwork of my favorite MAD artist, Sergio Aragones.
Then there was Spy vs. Spy.These panels were great. You didn't need dialogue or bow to the vagaries of the time to be funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember when SPY VS. SPY was popular enough to be syndicated as a newspaper comic strips for a short time. Or, at the very least, in our local newspaper, that is.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
MAD also inspired a few knockoff s like CRACKED and CRAZY, but MAD was still the real deal.

C to the J

Reaction score
If they had made anymore issues, they probably would have been more vulgar and crass the ones released in the past 10 years or so. Heck, I don't think the issues from the '60s, '70s, '80s, and '90s had instances of middle finger or used words much worse than h3ll, d4mn, and cr4p (I still draw the line at the P word that rhymes with this or fist, but that's not the point). What I liked about Mad Magazine, however, were the Don Martin cartoons and Spy vs. Spy.

On a side note, I did like watching the MAD cartoon show that aired on Cartoon Network. It had the kind of content I could tolerate.