Looking for 1990 episode with Andrea Martin

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I thought that I made a direct post about this a long time ago, but I just realized that that wasn't here, that was at the (now-defunct) Yesterdayland board. It's a long shot, but...

I'm looking for an episode from (I think) the 1989-90 season that featured Andrea Martin in the same costume that she wore in "Put Down the Duckie." All I remember about it was the costume, that she had at least one scene with Telly (for some reason, I remember her saying "Nope" to him about something...go figure fragmented childhood memories), that it included a Teeny Little Superguy sketch, the song/film "Map of It All", and that it almost certainly aired in the spring of 1990, but I'm not sure on that one. (The only reason I make that guess is because on the tape I had it on, it followed an episode of Captain Kangaroo that I know was taped in March or so of 1990, but I don't remember if the Andrea Martin SS episode followed it because it was taped later or because it had been taped over and what I remember are the fragments that were leftover).

Can anyone help me on this? Does anyone else at least *remember* this episode?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't help you, but the character Andrea martin played in the Put Down the Duckie song was Edith Prickley, who she had originally played on SCTV (Put Down the Duckie also featured another SCTV character, Yosh Schmenge, a clarinet player played by John Candy).

I know that all of the celebrities who made cameos in Put Down The Duckie made additional guest appearances on the show around the time that segment was re-edited to have celebrities (1986-1987), so either that episode was from before 1990 and actually rerun in 1990, or Andrea Martin made another appearance as Edith Prickley, or something else that I can't figure out.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
Well, I had no idea that many of the shows I watched in 1996-97 were actually reruns from a few years earlier until I found this board, so it could very possibly have been a rerun.

I do know that my copy of the episode was definitely not taped in 1986-87 because this SS episode as well as the Captain Kangaroo episode taped over episodes of thirtysomething and The Wonder Years that my parents taped in March 1990 (ech, my tongue is all twisted now).

Xerus

Reaction score
Andrea Martin has appeared quite a number of times on SS as her SCTV character, Edith Prickley.

One time, she adopted Barkley because she thought he was a homeless dog and it turns out Edith takes in many stray animals and loves to sing to them. Then the adults came to get back Barkley and Linda agreed to adopt him.

Another time, Edith played a clerk in a shoe store who tried to help Big Bird, and Grunghetta pick out some shoes.

And Edith appeared as a fairy godmother who gave Telly a magic pencil to help him write the alphabet.

And in Elmo's World, an animated Edith appeared and taught us how to do the Hokey Pokey.

superboober

Reaction score
Did any other SCTV characters show up to anyone's knowledge? (and granted, Bobby Bittman and the McKenzie brothers wouldn't exactly be positive examples for youngsters, eh?) :embarrassed:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
DreamTripper said:
Didn't martin short's "Ed Grimley" character appear on SS?
Yes. There is a picture in Jim Henson: The Works and a clip in Sesame Street's All-Star 25th Birthday: Stars and Streets Forevor.

Other SCTV characters who I don't think would have been very appropiate to have on the show include:
*Floyd Robertson (only because of his occassional drinking problem, though on the other hand, his alter-ego, Count Floyd, would have made a good pairing with The Count)
*Johnny LaRue
*Lola Heatherton

And I'm not sure about Bill Needle or Guy Cabelaro.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Andrea Martin has appeared quite a number of times on SS as her SCTV character, Edith Prickley.

One time, she adopted Barkley because she thought he was a homeless dog and it turns out Edith takes in many stray animals and loves to sing to them. Then the adults came to get back Barkley and Linda agreed to adopt him.

Another time, Edith played a clerk in a shoe store who tried to help Big Bird, and Grunghetta pick out some shoes.

And Edith appeared as a fairy godmother who gave Telly a magic pencil to help him write the alphabet.

And in Elmo's World, an animated Edith appeared and taught us how to do the Hokey Pokey.
Do you know when the appearances as Edith occurred?

superboober

Reaction score
You know who else would have worked? Dr. Tongue and Bruno (Woody Tobias Jr.). Oscar and Telly could have watched one of their films (say, "Dr. Tongue's 3-D House of Cards") as part of Sneak Peak Preview. I don't think the bad 3-D effects would have been that frightening for kids. Plus, we could have seen Kermit doing one of his News Flashes with Earl Camembert and outscoop him.

Xerus

Reaction score
Crazy31088 said:
Do you know when the appearances as Edith occurred?
I can't really remember. Probably the late 80s or early 90s.