Look! "Before You Leap" is an amazing book

Leyla

Reaction score
Oh, Lisa, you are so right. I've been meaning to do a nice in-depth review of this book... I really must get on that.

Wow, how very cool to have a real author amongst us, and a muppet author at that. I've actually got two copies of "Before you Leap" in my possession, one of which I'm sending to my non-muppet fan friend. It's too good a book for her not to read. I've also shared it around work. It's really such a charming read... even for non, or casual fans. There's just something about dreams that imakes them universal in their appeal.

Perhaps not everyone agrees with me, but I find there's so much heart in this book... that sweet, silly, ferociously determined optimism that's always been so much a part of the Muppets' spirit. It's there, from beginning to end and reading this book is almost like getting a literary hug from Kermit himself.

I'm definately one of those silly ushy gushy types who roots for the pig and the frog, but boy, have I ever missed seeing Fozzie as Fozzie... and you know what? He's there, in "Before You Leap." He's there, in all that sweet, childlike loyalty and love...and oh, I can't tell you how happy that makes me. What a wonderful, muppety book... muppety like I thought couldn't possibly exist anymore.

Gee... I'd say more... but all of a sudden, I need to read it again.

Thanks for the book...much respected fellow fan.

Layla

Beauregard

Reaction score
theprawncracker said:
Mr. Lewis, I love and envy you in some strange combination at the same time. Man, if I could have your shoes I'd be in heaven.
Well, it's nice to see that you arn't laying it on too think there Prawnie...but, don't you think his shoes would smell?

But seriously, it is great to see you here, Mr Lewis, I'm sure you have a lot to contribute to MC - and most of that is probably tied up behind contractual agreements, confidentiality agreements, and restraining orders from the pig - but we'd love to hear any thoughts you have on life with the Muppets, the universe, and everything.

One of the passages I most love from the book is when Kermit's talking about taking {drum roll, please} 'The Muppet Show' to producers, and their subsequent brillient excuses.

"YOU should have come in LAST week. We've ALREADY GOT a frog hosted weekly variety show in development." - Yeah, right..., says I (after comments added by me).

"We ABSOLUTELY LOVE the concept, EXCEPT the part about it being...etc" - Yeah, suuuuure you do.

"Why a FROG?" - Why NOT a frog???

"I LOVE the Muffets! You guys, I never cared for. But I adore the Muffets!" - Yes, who exactly are the Muffets again?

"SECURITY!" - What are you, Miss Stacey?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Mr. Lewis, we seriously need a Miss Piggy autobiography, I think that would be very interesting. I just finished reading the book (I hardly ever read books) but it was very good, and very muppety. Im fine with the pig jokes but as long as they arent too too harsh. I loved the little meeting with Bunsen, Pepe', Floyd, Kermit, and Piggy that was great, and I can picture that right in my head.

Welcome to the board Mr. Lewis!!

Telly

Reaction score
I'm the same way. I NEVER read books. I had been looking for this book though and couldn't find it. A week or two before Christmas two of my friends and I were in Barnes and Noble. We were walking out and one of my friends (who is a Muppet fan via me) opened up a book laying on the table by the door goes, "This is neat!" I looked and was like "I've been looking for that! Good thing I don't have any money!" (Sarcasm's my thing.) He ended up getting it for me without me knowing and gave it to me at Christmas. He mentioned that the cover was a little smudged up, which it was, but that's alright cuz it gives the book character....more so than what's already written on the pages!
I've been reading like a chapter a day. I find myself smiling like a goon as I read it. I can picture Kermit sitting at a computer, typing it out.
I'm with Barry Lee, I also think we need a Miss Piggy memoir. Maybe also a Gonzo one.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Telly said:
I also think we need a Miss Piggy memoir. Maybe also a Gonzo one.
I've been vying for Fozzie's to be the next on the list....it would be totally adoreable...either that or Scooter's, though Scooter is a lot less popular, and his history is far more controversial (To Muppet Baby, or not to Muppet Baby, this is the question).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
either that or Scooter's, though Scooter is a lot less popular, and his history is far more controversial (To Muppet Baby, or not to Muppet Baby, this is the question).
What do you mean, "'a lot less popular"?!!! lol

Though I agree, his history is a bit muddled at this point, hehe.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
"Hi, I'm Scooter! The band's road manager."

"Hi, I'm Scooter! I'm your new go-fer, and my uncle owns the theater."

"Hi, I'm Scooter! I've been with the gang since me and my sis were just toddlers in a nursery."

"Hi, I'm Scooter! I've been working as a cage dancer for Club Dot to work my way through college."

... now, which backstory would you choose?

:wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Definitely not the cage dancer one!

Hmm, the gopher story would be my choice...but I'm not entirely against the Muppet Babies one...

Telly

Reaction score
Not to be a stick in the mud, but...

"Hi, I'm Scooter! The band's road manager." - Remember at the beginning of The Muppet Movie, Kermit said it was sort of approximately how they met.

"Hi, I'm Scooter! I'm your new go-fer, and my uncle owns the theater." - I'd take this one since it was on the Muppet Show.

"Hi, I'm Scooter! I've been with the gang since me and my sis were just toddlers in a nursery." - I look at the entire series Muppet Babies as being part of Piggy's fantasy from The Muppets Take Manhattan. In the movie she mad the comment on how she wishes they would met much sooner and how it would've been wonderful if they'd had known each other when they were little.

"Hi, I'm Scooter! I've been working as a cage dancer for Club Dot to work my way through college." - That was only if Kermit had never been born and Miss Bitterman had built the mall.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So, the official story would be the go-fer. However, if you wanted to do a book on Piggy's life, you could bring in the Muppet Babies fantasy. Problem solved, right? (Probably not)

Aw, VH1's I luv the '80s just mentioned Kermit and Piggy's 'On Screen Hook up' from 1981!