Little things we've noticed

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was watching the Sesame Street News clip where Kermit asks the three little pigs how they feel about the Big Bad Wolf blowing their houses down. With the mid-1980s title card, the title card actually raises up from the screen, as opposed to fading to the first scene. I wonder if there are other News segments to have a transition like that.

Just watch the clip and see what I'm talking about: http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...6-155d-11dd-a62f-919b98326687/news_three_pigs

Also, when the card is on-screen, look at the right side of the screen. A small part of the set can be seen, as if the title card is actually there live on camera as opposed to being made and added in post-production.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like even before Maria and Luis had become a couple, there had been a number of segments where they seem to portray a couple, such as season 16's "You Say Hola" and season 18's "Sing Your Synonyms".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There is a goof I've noticed in Follow That Bird for years. I can't remember if I ever mentioned it on the forum or not. But it concerns the scene where it's announced on the news that Big Bird is going back to Sesame Street.

When Big Bird sneaks out of the house, it's starting to get dark outside. When we see our Sesame Street friends watching the news, it's obviously a lot darker outside. New York is an hour ahead of Illinois, so I don't know if the level of darkness would be too different. But when they watch the news, it is obviously daytime at the Dodo's house. This leads to some goofs regardless of whether it's supposed to be a live broadcast or not. But before I get to some other goofs, I'll point out that at the end of the scene, when we see Big Bird watching from some outdoor television sets, it's as dark outside there as it was at Sesame Street at the same time.

Now, it could have been a pre-recorded news broadcast, but the newscaster said "This just in" before reporting. Odd that a news report that was "just in" would have had a pre-recorded interview. Also, Big Bird left at nighttime, thinking he'd get back in three hours. He mentioned it in the note to the Dodo's, and he doesn't know that it'll take longer than three hours until the day after it's reported, and acts surprised when he learns this. If Big Bird had been heading home for one day and two nights then he should have realised sooner that it wouldn't take three hours, unless he doesn't exactly know how long an hour is (he certainly knew a week was longer, and seemed to know that three hours wasn't too much longer than two).

And if it was live, then I guess that news program was national and located in Illinois, if they were able to send a newscrew to Oceanview that quickly. And it seems Miss Finch got there very quicly as well, and was even in the Feather Friends car. I assume the Feather Friends have their meetings near Sesame Street, so I don't know if Feathered Friends may have a few districts/offices all around the world and Finch suddenly got transferred to Oceanview or what. Or if she took a plane and there happened to be a Feathered Friends district willing to let her use their car.

And of course, in the scene after the news report, when Big Bird leaves the area he's in, Miss Finch quickly shows up, having just missed Big Bird. If the news report was live, then Big Bird must not have gotten too far (I know, a car can outrun feet, but still...).

Of course there could be another explanation for Miss Finch being there so fast, which would make sense. She could have already been in the area, perhaps to check up on Big Bird, and to visit her friends (she said she knew them). It would have made a bit of sense, since Miss Finch cared so much about living with a bird family while on the news the Dodo's didn't show any signs of concern over Big Bird's absense. It would make sense if she showed up and found the note and was the one who alerted the news.

Also, Big Bird left the note telling them he was going back to Sesame Street, yet he also seemed to sneak out when he did. So he felt the need to sneak out yet he wasn't afraid to let them know where he was going?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the segment where Kermit interviews John-John, Kermit asks John-John if he minds if he asks some questions, and John-John nods, yet Kermit asks anyway. I guess John-John didn't know the difference between minding and not minding, but I wonder how he felt if he really did mind and was asked anyway.

I also noticed that in the first episode, there's quite a few segments that seem to have fade-ins at the beginning while the previous segments don't end with fade-outs. In some instances it seems the segments cut to black at the end before the next segment fades from black, but it is a bit odd (maybe they weren't too skilled at editing yet).

Especially noticable is the ending of the S claymation: We hear a big musical sting and it's about to fade to black, but then it cuts to the next scene. It doesn't fully fade to black, and I wouldn't be surprised if we would have heard a little bit more music (even if just a millisecond) if the segment fully faded to black in episode 1.

I also noticed that in episode one Bert's arm wire is connected to his elbow as opposed to his wrist.

dwmckim

Reaction score
In the segment where Kermit interviews John-John, Kermit asks John-John if he minds if he asks some questions, and John-John nods, yet Kermit asks anyway. I guess John-John didn't know the difference between minding and not minding, but I wonder how he felt if he really did mind and was asked anyway.
The concept of "do you mind?' is so confusing to a kid. I had the hardest time understanding it when i was Sesame age. It almost seemed like a trick question (actually, in adulthood it does do). "No" is a positive answer, and "yes" allows the asker of the question to assume the person being asked actually means "no, i don't mind".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed that in Carribian Amphibian that when we see the outline of where the frog has hopped from island to island the outline almost looks like an outline of a side view of an eagles head.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Okay, I've noticed that...

*Ernie and Bert live in the basement of 123, and their windows are behind the railing (or dumpster? Whatever it’s called). However, with the exception of season 1, all we see out the window is a blue sky :confused:

Even more peculiar is in the skit where Bert goes out to mail a letter (Ernie plays the drums), after he leaves the room, we see him walking by outside the window.

Here is the sketch. FF to 00:38 to see my point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXFBThMEMI

*In the earlier seasons (the first three, that is), Cookie Monster actually spoke in first person – saying “I want cookie” as opposed to “Me want cookie”, although there were times in seasons 2-3 when “Me” (and sometimes “Monster”, as Cookie referred to himself back in season 1) would slip in. Of course starting in season 4, Cookie spoke in his now trademark diction.

*Also in the earlier seasons – I believe Drtooth has pointed this out several times before – Oscar seemed a little…...um, how should I say this…...brighter than he would become later on.

I mean, sure he was a grouch who hated the sunshine, cleanliness, politness, company of others, etc. and was often telling people to go away and leave him alone. But on the other hand…

You know what, I think I’ll let you observe on your own:

A scene from #54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADmf0Y4SUOA

The original 1969 version of I Love Trash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9fwjox49Wk

The E/B chocolate ice cream skit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhwk3uX7TiQ

The skit where Ernie loses his rubber duckie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jxXVvrU1s

Susan sings "If You're Happy and You Know It"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-SlHFsnp2I

A scene from #276
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv4NpUsG0jQ

The first couple of seconds of "Rain Falls"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PbRlzPZAQo

There’s also his appearance on The Flip Wilson Show, but that sketch isn’t on YouTube. (It was on there years ago, but it was
taken down) At one point in that sketch, Oscar had a Christmas party in his can. Talk about what would happen five years later!

Heck, in the Rainstorm episode from season 3 (#355), Oscar was pretty mad when he got splashed by the passing car. Normally, he’d like that sort of thing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
*Ernie and Bert live in the basement of 123, and their windows are behind the railing (or dumpster? Whatever it’s called). However, with the exception of season 1, all we see out the window is a blue sky :confused:
One exception would be the recent song "I Wonder", where we can see (through the magic of computer animation) a sillohutte of the buildings outside the window.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just watching episode 666, and I noticed that at the end of the scene, where Oscar shows that nobody is happy, before some and then everyone is happy, that at the very end, Oscar starts laughing as well. And he had appeared to be unhappy because of them being happy... I wonder what made Oscar happy there.

Actually, I wonder what was up with the happiness in the scene. EVERYBODY quickly went from being unhappy to being happy, for no apparrent reason. I can see some of them cheering up, but unless they all planned on becomming happy to make Oscar miserable, it doens't make sense.

It's also odd that everybody is laughing. I can see them smiling if they are happy, but just because you're happy doesn't mean you have to crack up. I laugh if something is funny, not because I am happy. It sort of reminds me of a stupid commercial I saw for a dentist, where a dentists patients are supposed to pose for a picture but keep laughing because they want to show off their clean teeth. If they want to show their teeth, just smile, don't keep laughing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed something about this clip: http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...-a2fa-4d58-bbb4-7283261c2194/everybody_knocks

Oscar sets up many trash cans on Sesame Street so nobody would know which one he's in, and not only that, but he's put piles of trash by each can, including crates and bags. But does he really need all that trash around the outside of his cans? It makes sense to have that pile of trash around his trash can to hide Caroll Spinney (as there aren't any trap doors on the floor), so I wonder if that was done so that those of us who know how it's done would still be guessing (I mean the kids wouldn't know there's a performer needing to hide).