Least likeable Sesame character?

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread here...

Now that Abby Cadabby's off my bad list, there's another character who's been getting on my nerves lately.

Moppy.

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Moppy

If you don't know who this character is, it's understandable. This character isn't even on the show. He(?) appears at Universal Studios Japan.

Honestly, that thing doesn't even resemble a Muppet! And what a stupid name too. Moppy represents the kind of over-the-top cuteness that Sesame Street fought against in the first place.

Say what you want about Elmo, but at least he came about organically. That is, he came from someone within the creative team (writers, Muppeteers, etc.) and not from corporate, which is obviously the case with Moppy. Heck, even Zoe, who was admittedly created for marketing purposes, got less annoying over the years.

Can you imagine if Moppy was an actual character on the show, especially during the days when Jim Henson was alive? Jon Stone would have hung himself the moment he saw Moppy. Jeff Moss and Norman Stiles would have screamed at the top of their lungs "Are you out of your ****ing mind?!!" Frank Oz will tear this character to pieces.

End of rant.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Tom, Mr. Hooper's assistant from Season 3. So bland, so flat, and he really seemed like he didn't even want to be there anyway.
Very possible. You know, it's possible that several people felt that way about being on a kids show, considering it was still in it's early years.
Speaking of flat human characters, Nina has never really struck a chord with me. She kind of just feels like a very generic character. I think Nitya Vidyasagar, the actress who played Leela brought a lot more subtle charm to her character.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Tom, Mr. Hooper's assistant from Season 3. So bland, so flat, and he really seemed like he didn't even want to be there anyway.
Hard to comment on this, I've only seen two shows with him. Maybe he's more animated in other episodes

muppet maniac

Reaction score
And this would have been Dulcy Singer's (executive producer from seasons 12-24) reaction after seeing Moppy:

Yes, super speed and all.

Schfifty

Reaction score
A couple come to mind: Stinky the Stinkweed and Wolfgang the Seal.

For Stinky, I wasn't much into his appearance since he's just a little green plant, and his nasally voice...nuff said. For Wolfgang, I mean, how long would you be able to stand all that "ORF! ORF! ORF! ORF!"-ing?

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Another character I don't miss at all is Natasha (and that goes for Humphrey and Ingrid as well). No point to this character.

And I'm still sitting here wondering when is Universal Studios Japan gonna come to their senses and kick Moppy's fuzzy pink butt out of their park and bring in characters far more deserving to be there like ... umm ... (scratches head) Telly? ..... (shrugs) Prairie Dawn? .... Or ... (beams up) Oh .. Oh! I know! I know! Now that they've got a walk-around of him: OSCAR! Seriously, he's a major character as Elmo and Cookie, and he's heavily featured on merchandise at the park as much as those two (and *groan* Moppy - ugh, hate that name) yet he's not at their park?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
A couple come to mind: Stinky the Stinkweed and Wolfgang the Seal.

For Stinky, I wasn't much into his appearance since he's just a little green plant, and his nasally voice...nuff said. For Wolfgang, I mean, how long would you be able to stand all that "ORF! ORF! ORF! ORF!"-ing?
Totally agree! I can tolerate Wolfgang but Stinky has always annoyed me with that grating voice of his.