Latest Newswire Update on Henson Co.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Disney

Okay with Brian stepping down from his chairman role, he know that something is happen soon. The first clue is that Variety article where it states that Rivikin and his mystery banker have made a bid. Okay, this might sound a little strange but didn't this artilce state that the company buy back was turned down. :confused:

On to part 2, If a huge company like say The Walt Disney buys Henson, I believe that it will give a whole ton of media and press coverage such as " It's 1989 all over again, Disney has bought Henson". Henson can know say to all the people who ask them, "Aren't Muppets owned by Disney?". "Now they are." Things like the Disney Stores and Parks can be used for the Muppets and other Hensno creations. Disney relationship with Coke, Kellogs, and Mcdonalds will help promote new Muppet merchandise such as Muppet Ceral, Muppet Juice, and new Happy Meal toys.

That it for now, I am sure that I will come with some more stuff soon.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Let's just say we cannot confirm or deny that we have a clue what's going on. Doesn't Phil or someone have some connections? Muppet Central needs to dig deeper into this stuff. 'Cause we care more than anyone else!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You can try to contact the JHC folks directly or any other company and they will tell you that there is no information for them to give you. Why? Probably cause there isn't.

As far as Disney promoting Henson merchandise? Cereal: Croonchy Stars, no longer around; Muppet drinks: Not likely, though a Coca Cola "special can" series (ie, starwars) might be fun; Disney Stores...you seen the junk they're selling now? I used to work for them, and all their stuff just really STINKS now! Their plush is looking better, though. I'm just not that thrilled with the rest of the stuff in that store...all the collectibles and stuff looked better when I was still there.

I don't think Brian Henson stepped down because of the sale of the company or anything like that; as a matter of fact, I heard long ago that he was thinking about it so he could focus more on the creative side of the company (and I think it was here at MC, or on the old Delphi forums somewhere). If he was stepping down for any other reason, it would have been during the EM.TV sale, which I still say SHOULD NOT have happened.

I'm still for Rivkin and his posse getting the JHC back in the hands of the JHC...I know folks are going to complain about me saying that, but so far the biggest mistake has been the EM.TV sale, and you have to admit that, regardless how things have been going, they've been doing darn good to keep the company afloat.

With a burning passion I just don't want Disney or AOL/Time Warner to have the JHC...though, if I have to choose somone besides JHC owning the JHC, between the two, I would go with Disney. AOL/TW and the way they handled the Speedy Gonzales thing still has me steamed.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah the current crop of press releases aren't really making sense - there have been lots of contradictions so i wouldn't take what each one says as the gospel truth. There has certainly been more interest than just the Rivkin buyback, and if someone like Disney won't pay upwards of 150 million then theres something seriously wrong here. You also have to remember that Allen & Co are about to solicit a second round of bids, so all talk of the sale being as close as next week is totally false, and lots of companies stay out of the running until the final stages.

<<I don't think Brian Henson stepped down because of the sale of the company or anything like that; as a matter of fact, I heard long ago that he was thinking about it so he could focus more on the creative side of the company>>

Yeah its old news that he was considering stepping down as chairman but it's come at a pretty wierd time. I think theres probably a lot more to it than that - we shall see.

I will say though, that the angle on the Rivkin sale doesn't 'sell' me - whats the point in having Rivkin run the company if he doesn't have much Henson help in running it ? Also how do we know his mystery backer isnt some other German company who will be just like EMTV ? I want to see the company go to someone who can give the Muppets all the resources they need - not someone who won't have enough money or creative/promotional power to do anything new with them - it'll be just like those quiet years after Jim died. I just think that if Rivkin gets the company i'll be seriously reconsidering how much time i devote to the Muppets - we may have all this interest from media companies and merchandise companies right now for the 25th anniversary, but the Muppets have always gone through short periods of on/off popularity - come next Summer all the anniversary stuff will have died down and thats when something dramatic needs to happen to keep up the interest.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke-

I agree with you. I have never been much in favor of the Rivkin buy-back because it sort of represents a step back IMHO. That and I have heard talk of Rivkin not understanding that there is a 20 years and older market for the Muppets. Under his direction we could be looking at even more kiddie-fare. Ick.

If not Disney there needs to be a substancial entertainment company backing Henson. Less we forget that it is exactly what Jim wanted for his creations - to live on with a company that has the proper resources and longevitiy. The Rivkin angle just doesn't seem viable to me. It'll be the 1990s all over again. Just my thoughts. It's unlikely anyway. Who is this phantom backer?

Muppets1985

Reaction score
**forget that it is exactly what Jim wanted for his creations - to live on with a company that has the proper resources and longevitiy.**

See thats why i WANT Disney to get the Muppets!

Note to Eisner: If you don't offer in a bid or offer the MOST money to EM.TV, i WILL flip, and i will get your job and make Disney and the Muppets the greatest company ever!!!!

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Well, I believe his contract expires in Sept. 2006, so you might have to wait a while. Also, you might want to bring a couple of guys from the board. It might ease their fears about who's running the company.

Just looking at this from perspective.

towels

Reaction score
age of Muppet fans

For those that went, what effect do you think Muppetfest had on the perceived target age of Muppet fans? Was it a kid-heavy event, or do you think some eyes may have been opened as to the audience level?

Stulz

Reaction score
Muppetfest.. age target

I think that the target audience wasn't nessecarily meant for kids. I mean if you look how it was set up - ther wasn't much hands on interaction for them. Teh kids that were there were gettin' antsy sitting there all day.. my butt was startin' to hurt. (didn't want to miss anything though).

I do think that the event opened their eyes to how many of us WEREN'T kids OR "30-50" yrs old. I think the notticed that most of the atentees there ranged from 18- 30. That surprised them for sure.. they even said so.

Look at how they have the Henson traveling exhibit. it has an area where teh kida can feel the fabric and touch and play with it.

If Muppefest were aimed at kids there would have been alot more stations like and not the museum and collectible portions.

Here's Looking foward to MFII !!!

Chris
:smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree with Chris! I think the targeted audience ended up being more grown-up folks than the kiddies...except one very special and darling little child in a kermit suit.