Kermit and Herbert together?

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
It does seem unlikely there would be a scene with Herbert and Kermit together on Sesame Street but it is still nice to know they did appear together in The Muppet Movie finale scene. I was just excited to finally find the Herbert Birdsfoot character in that crowd scene.:smile:
And this would be the last time Herbert would be seen in new Muppet material, if only as a cameo and not "Sesame Street" related. I sense there was a few years' gap between the last Herbert sketch produced for "Sesame Street" ("ET" family, with a courier delivery worker) and his official final appearance in new material during the closing scene in "The Muppet Movie". He never appeared in new material since, not even in "A Muppet Family Christmas".

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I think by the time of the Muppet movie, Herbert was practically done for and the puppet was used for other characters

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I think by the time of the Muppet movie, Herbert was practically done for and the puppet was used for other characters
I do have one question: Didn't Herbert's hair and mustache get recycled on Mr. Essex later in the 1980s? I know Herbert's eyeglasses did get used on many other characters, including Mr. Essex, Don Music and the Lavender Muppet guy who was tending to his garden when the flowers started to talk whenever the guy was away, to name two characters. Didn't Herbert's glasses also get worn by Dr. Nobel Price?

I find that Mr. Essex was basically a clone of Herbert Birdsfoot, except for the nose and wardrobe.

Also, the name Herbert (or a variation) did get recycled later on with Herbert Hare in the letter H Alphabet Chat segment, and Herb the Dinosaur later in the 2000s. Herbert Birdsfoot was rarely seen in the 1990s, it seems - the final showing of one of his segments where he posed as a teacher was in Season 28, if I recall. But his official final appearance on an actual modern broadcast of "Sesame Street" was a cameo appearance in the Ernie & Bert sketch about a surprise party, which was aired in Season 32, in 2001.

Last edited:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I do have one question: Didn't Herbert's hair and mustache get recycled on Mr. Essex later in the 1980s? I know Herbert's eyeglasses did get used on many other characters, including Mr. Essex, Don Music and the Lavender Muppet guy who was tending to his garden when the flowers started to talk whenever the guy was away, to name two characters. Didn't Herbert's glasses also get worn by Dr. Nobel Price?

I find that Mr. Essex was basically a clone of Herbert Birdsfoot, except for the nose and wardrobe.

Also, the name Herbert (or a variation) did get recycled later on with Herbert Hare in the letter H Alphabet Chat segment, and Herb the Dinosaur later in the 2000s. Herbert Birdsfoot was rarely seen in the 1990s, it seems - the final showing of one of his segments where he posed as a teacher was in Season 28, if I recall. But his official final appearance on an actual modern broadcast of "Sesame Street" was a cameo appearance in the Ernie & Bert sketch about a surprise party, which was aired in Season 32, in 2001.
I think the puppets pieces went all around to others but the character itself was probably retired after the Muppet movie. Mr Essex didn’t fully use Herbert’s maybe his mustache but not the hair. He was a live hand lavender Muppet not just the regular lavender Muppet

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I did learn about a movie that was planned for a release in 1984, titled "Sesame Street: The Movie", which would have had Herbert involved - but the plans got scrapped. Muppet Wiki has an article about it, so it must be legit. That would have been Herbert's official final appearance in "Sesame Street" media, but it was not to be. I wonder if the movie idea was scrapped because of the death of Mr. Hooper?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I did learn about a movie that was planned for a release in 1984, titled "Sesame Street: The Movie", which would have had Herbert involved - but the plans got scrapped. Muppet Wiki has an article about it, so it must be legit. That would have been Herbert's official final appearance in "Sesame Street" media, but it was not to be. I wonder if the movie idea was scrapped because of the death of Mr. Hooper?
From what I’ve gathered together, I don’t think this film would’ve been made either way with how it doesn’t feel Sesame with the whole presidents plot and it being very topical

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
From what it sounds, it seems like that movie idea would have destroyed the "Sesame Street" franchise and if children would have seen it (had it gotten released), children would never want to see the show again.

Had the movie gotten released, it would have been short-lived and made very little revenue. At least the producers got it right with "Follow that Bird".

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Buddy, I really think you’re overthinking things a bit in that last post.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Jerry has the right idea, I don’t think the film would’ve killed Sesame Street. There’s been tons of things that have happened to Sesame Street and they’ve survived it

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Jerry has the right idea, I don’t think the film would’ve killed Sesame Street. There’s been tons of things that have happened to Sesame Street and they’ve survived it
Sorry to bump an old thread here, but I was thinking about this one because I had a dream last night that there was a clip available for this transcription/captioning company that I'm working for with Kermit and Prairie. There's another combination of "straight" characters" that may not work too well together, unless they were to throw in another character like Grover like in that fan fic. Or maybe the characters could appear together doing some news program or political thing or something. Staggers the imagination.