Jimmy Fallon to replace Conan on "Late Night"

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
give Conan the job that they would have to pay him a sum of forty million anyway.

But what's Jimmy Fallon going to do during monologues, laugh at his own jokes?:rolleyes:

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think they should've promoted Carson Daly, I mean his shows HAVE gotten funnier over the years, I think that he could hold a 12:35 shot. Jimmy Fallon? I dunno, I mean, he's not the best guy out there. As far as Fox goes, I have 2 words for ya....ARSENIO HALL! So, I mean it CAN be done. I guess you'll have to look at the writing and if that's any good or not. The guy can be the best in the world, but if the writing sucks, then there's nothing. Here's what I think. It's gonna be like Conan's first 3-4 years. Kinda weird, awkward, and just not really as funny as it could be. Conan being on the Tonight Show is gonna rock cause I think that even though he's in his 40s, he'll bring a youthful energy to the show that the Tonight show is lacking. I mean, mostly older people watch the Tonight Show, and the younger audience watch Conan. That's my understanding anyways.

Daniel

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Anyone rememebr Joan Rivers Late night show on fox? It didn't do so well over all. But I believe part of the reason NBC Is handing the Gig over to Conan is because Fox was actually trying to lure him over to their network and a better time slot against Jay and Dave and they didn't want that.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I love Conan. He needs an 11:30 time slot! He seriously deserves it. Leno is/was okay, I guess, but both him and Letterman are old. I'm not really amused by anything they say. I think Conan is more in touch with younger people then they are.

As for Jimmy Fallon... :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heck, give it to Wanda Sykes instead of Fallon. She's funny and has been reduced to second bananna to Old Christine and a talking apple in Alplebee's commercials. :rolleyes:

Heck, give it to the Applebees Apple (with no one voicing it). It's got more personality and talent than Fallon. His Robin Williams impersonation is only OK, Maurice LaMarche can do much better. But other than that, I just don't see the appeal. Of course, I have fault with anyone on SNL post Adam Sandler....

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The idea itself of doing a Robin Williams impression just seems redundant to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The idea itself of doing a Robin Williams impression just seems redundant to me.
Mmm... it does, now that you think of it. But then again, in the case of Maurice LaMarche (and also Dan Castellenetta), they were filling in for a celebrity too expensive to cast in a weekday afternoon cartoon..

I refer to his portrayal as Robin Kill'ems in a Tiny Toons cartoon called "Stand Up and Deliver". But then again, Maurice LaMarche can pretty much imitate half of Hollywood, past and present.

Jeez. How come being a hack on SNL makes you more respectible than being a voice actor with actual TALENT?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
LaMarche just isn't as well-known as Fallon, which is sadly unfortunate.

I don't actually like Fallon, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are so many better people for the job. I mean, heck... I remember seeing an interview with Paul Rudd where he said it was his dream at the time of doing "Clueless" and Super Nintendo commercials to host a late night show. We'd lose seeing Paul Rudd in the movies, but imagine how fantastic it would have been to have HIM replace Conan!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I love Conan. He needs an 11:30 time slot! He seriously deserves it. Leno is/was okay, I guess, but both him and Letterman are old. I'm not really amused by anything they say. I think Conan is more in touch with younger people then they are.

As for Jimmy Fallon... :/
In my day it was Dave that was young and fresh. Guess I still see that. I remember when he did a walk on for Conan in his early days when O'Brien was still struggling. Letterman may be crass, but he is always a class act. I see him as more cranky than old guy. He always had that. The day he retires will be a sad day for me. :frown:

Leno...is just not that interesting to me. He's the kind of comedian that takes a couple of cocktails to laugh at. I still think Fallon is a bandaid fix until they find a more suitable replacement.

Better replacements:
Andy Richter, Wanda Sykes (or the Wanda Sykes Apple), Patton Oswalt, Denis Leary, Hal Sparks, Amy Poehler, Dave Chappelle, David Spade (is his show still on?), Will Arnett (from Arrested Development), Mario Cantone, Samantha Bee, Kathy Griffin, Lewis Black, Seth Green, Paul Reubens, Bob Odenkirk, David Cross, Dave Attell, Will Forte, Colin Quinn, Eddie Izzard, Graham Norton or even Conan's own "Pimpbot 5000" would make for a better host than Fallon. That's one long somewhat viable list with 22 real names of funny people many of whom would jump at this chance. :coy:

However, let's not forget Conan's initial ciriticisms. Man is he funny and I think the Bob Dole television sketches in the mid 90s are what pushed him over the top. :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Jamie, of the names that you listed, I think all the ones I recognize would be better than poor Jimmy Fallon. He just doesn't seem the type.

I was just thinking... maybe it's time for Jon Stewart to get a network show? :confused: