Jim Lewis and Steve Whitmire start interactive Youtube/Discord channel CAVE-IN

Grumpo

Reaction score
Jim Lewis and Steve Whitmire team together to start interactive Youtube/Discord channel CAVE-IN.

Channel features Steve Whitmire's original character Weldon the Internet Troll who supposedly hacks Steve's website to chat with visitors and give outrageously bad advice on any subject they can think of.

The first Weldon session was held on 8/31 (at 8:31 EST), and can be seen on youtube Cave-iN channel, as well as their Dark Crystal parody "Age of Petulance".

Everyone who wants to participate in future live sessions will need to install the Discord App from discordapp.com for interactive experience, and follow Weldon's announcements on Steve Whitmide's instagram page.

P.S. Big Thanks to @antsamthompson9 for the original post Weldon the IT Guy (Internet Troll). My apologies for posting it here with a bit more detail -- it's just that as a big fan of the original Henson people i think it deserves more attention from the fan community. If this can be considered double-posting, please remove.

MWoO

Reaction score
I like Steve as a performer. However, the Dark Crystal bit is just full of venom towards a project he himself worked on and was incredibly important to Jim Henson. He rips into it because he was not invited back to work on the Netflix show. It's sad. He gas lights his fans, pretending to be reasonable and the victim of his own actions, but his work speaks for itself. He is bitter and blacklisted from the 3 major puppetry companies he use to work for. Was he always like this? Probably not. But he is now and it is sad to see his fall from grace.

If he was just doing a show then that would be fine, but he decided to take a dig at the work of his former mentor in the first episode instead of just doing his own thing.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I like Steve as a performer. However, the Dark Crystal bit is just full of venom towards a project he himself worked on and was incredibly important to Jim Henson. He rips into it because he was not invited back to work on the Netflix show. It's sad. He gas lights his fans, pretending to be reasonable and the victim of his own actions, but his work speaks for itself. He is bitter and blacklisted from the 3 major puppetry companies he use to work for. Was he always like this? Probably not. But he is now and it is sad to see his fall from grace.

If he was just doing a show then that would be fine, but he decided to take a dig at the work of his former mentor in the first episode instead of just doing his own thing.
He didn't parody Dark Crystal because he wasn't asked to do the Netflix series, he did it because he's aware that some Henson fans, like me, think the Dark Crystal looks really pretty, but the content is just boring.

Grumpo

Reaction score
...just full of venom... dig at the work of his former mentor...
Shush =) Like with almost anything these days, shake your head, take a deep breath, give it a think, and evaluate the sources. =)
Big part of art is colored by the expectations viewers bring into it themselves... For me it was just fun!

As for Dark Crystal being important... of course it IS! Nobody ever bothers making jokes about drab and insignificant works.
And... Steve WAS a part of the original, we all know =) so it is a spoof on his own work as well.

How the mighty have fallen.
Come to think of it, this can be said of almost any Muppet production. Hey Cinderella or Classic Theater may look like something whipped up after hours on borrowed equipment... but that's totally not the reason to dislike them.

For me it is a rare chance to see one of the last Henson guys in action -- and it sure does not disappoint there =)

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
It's amazing how much Steve looks like Jim (just take some hair off the head and put it in the beard); honest to God if Jim were still alive, this might've been something he had done.

So it's essentially a PG version of Jerkbeast. 🤣