JHC and HIT establish worldwide distribution and production venture

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
>>The Jim Henson Company, an established leader in family entertainment for nearly half a century, is recognized worldwide as a leader in puppetry, animatronics and computer graphics.<<

About time their press releases say that.

>>Headquartered in Los Angeles with offices and production facilities in New York and London<<

Still?

Wow. So HIT, who incidentally were rumored to be interested in buying JHC in 2001, will distribute and finance the Henson stuff? I guess that sounds good. There's still this nagging in the back of my head that wishes Disney was doing it, but that's irrelevant.

Disney and HIT missed the auction, but both lucked out now. Hopefully soon, we'll all reap the benefits. :smile:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I find this encouraging. I'm glad they're forming partnerships to distribute such classic properties and develop new ones.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see the new Frances show-- I loved those books when I was a kid.

I think this is good. Disney wouldn't have made Fraggle a priority-- not with the entire Muppet catalog-- this could well mean Fraggle will be coming to DVD in the next few years....

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, what I like about this is that HIT will probably do more with these properties than Henson ever could. JHC had a difficult time selling their best property, "The Muppet Show"; much less smaller ones like "Fraggle Rock". Apparently, HIT is paying a nice sum to own all the TV and product distribution rights for these properties so they will be doing something with them.

I thought it was interesting that they got "Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas", even though it features Kermit, now property of the Walt Disney Company. You would think by the release that Emmet was a series not a one-shot special.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yeah, and they probably got "The Christmas Toy" as well because it's pretty much the same situation.

And I bet you, if "The Muppet Musicians of Bremen" didn't have the word "Muppet" in the title, Henson would have kept it too, for Kermit is the only major character in there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So we'll get Fraggle Rock on DVD eventually... please Phil tell me this is not an April Fools! :smirk: :excited:

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
YAHOO!

Although I was afraid this was an April Fools Day joke at first.

--Scraps

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah, its great news indeed. There are a lot of ex-Henson people at HIT so thats great, and they do seem to have been on a buying spree of late so are definitely on their way up. I think the one criticism people in the media have of HIT is that they do tend to over-expose properties where they work them so much the bottom falls out of them for a while after but i'm sure now they have a lot more brands and things that should happen less. I wouldn't immediately jump on the DVD re-release bandwagon, that isn't HIT's style but i'm sure it will happen at some point.

Actually the nice thing about this for Fraggle and Hoobs is that Jocelyn Stevenson who wrote for the shows is HIT's Senior Vice President of Global Creative Production now. I know the plan is just to produce new properties rather than revive old ones but would have been nice if Hoobs could get some new specials or something. Also of interest to people on the new production side will be the fact HIT have their own animation studios - HOT.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Agreed! I wouldn't say "OMG!!! There are going to be DVD's of Fraggle Rock! My prayers have been answered" just yet! But anything is possible. We could see them, we could not, but at least we have a little hope on the subject.

Hopefully this will also mean they could bring the Hoobs (in some form) to Americia.