Jerry Nelson's vocal range

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Not long ago, I actually calculated based on what we've heard, in terms of his vocal extremities, and I think that Jerry, from at least his late 30s to late 40s, had at least a good 3 1/2 octave range. As Thog, in songs like "Real Live Girl" with Mia Farrow and "Oh Babe, What Would You Say?" with Kaye Ballard, sang as low as the 3rd B flat below middle C, as Miss Mousey sang the C above middle C, and as Gobo in "Let the Water Run", let out a squeak which I (with my perfect pitch) pegged as being the 2nd E above middle C. Three full octaves from the low B flat to the one above middle C, and then another half an octave from there up to the E.

Any other musical people have anything to add to that? It seems to reason that if Nelson could hit that low, low B flat so squarely that he probably had one or two more notes below that even. IMO his higher register was the one where he probably had a little less to work with- that E, remember, was a squeak and not part of a song.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

BEAR

Reaction score
I do know that Jerry Nelson was probably the most versatile performer vocally (i mean in a singing sense) than the other performers. He did have a great range and I remarkable voice. I think he was more noted for his being able to sing such a beautiful tenor. Remember when he sang "High, Middle, Low" as Herbert Birdsfoot, along with Ernie and Bert. That was so beautiful the way he soared so freely and clear up there.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Ha, I've always noticed how crazy his range is, but I've never tried to calculate it before, very cool. It did shock me when I realised that in songs like Mr. Bassman can be the same as Halfway Down the Stairs, and have such amazing falsetto like with Miss Mousey. Very big range, he's super-talented and super-lucky.

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Ha, I've always noticed how crazy his range is, but I've never tried to calculate it before, very cool. It did shock me when I realised that in songs like Mr. Bassman can be the same as Halfway Down the Stairs, and have such amazing falsetto like with Miss Mousey. Very big range, he's super-talented and super-lucky.

What's incredible to me is all that super high stuff he sings that isn't even in falsetto at all.

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
NOt sure what you mean, Bear.

Wish I could figure out how to explain it. I'll get back to you on this one.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Hee, okay. I think I know what you mean, but can't really explain. :eek:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Are you referring to falsetto vs. head voice? I've been singing my whole life and I still have trouble with the distinction.

Seems to me that Robin and Herbert Birdsfoot are in high head voice, whereas say Miss Mousey is in falsetto, at least at her highest range. Am I close to what you're getting at?

BEAR

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Are you referring to falsetto vs. head voice? I've been singing my whole life and I still have trouble with the distinction.

Seems to me that Robin and Herbert Birdsfoot are in high head voice, whereas say Miss Mousey is in falsetto, at least at her highest range. Am I close to what you're getting at?

Thanks. I think that is what I was trying to say.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
...and have such amazing falsetto like with Miss Mousey. Very big range, he's super-talented and super-lucky.
Am I right in that he did EVERY voice in there except Kermit and the bigger mouse?