Jazzy Spies #1 and Baker #1 ... do they exist?

superboober

Reaction score
Interesting that #9 seems to be the one everyone's looking for, since during the height of my watching the show (from about 1984-1988), that seemed to have been the most-shown Baker sketch, or at least the one I remembered seeing the most (although I initally at that time thought Rowlf was saying 9 PLATES, even though the objects around him looked nothing like plates).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just started thinking... how do we know that there wasn't a one segment in the Jazz cartoon series? We know that the baker films had a one segment, and it's been said that the one segment is the most rarely-seen segment in this series, but how do we know that there wasn't a rarely-seen Jazz #1? I believe that there wasn't, mainly because everybody here says that there wasn't, but how can we be sure? Same with the Mad Painter series (I've seen a source that mentioned that Pinball Number Count didn't have a segment for the number one).

D

Dil

They would have used "2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-(11-12)" skipping "1", never used.

I think the reason why 1 was used in the Baker Films is because someone thought tha Baker Film Series need ALL of numbers from 1-10, even 1, and he probably said to the SS Crew, "The numbers from 2-10 isn't enough for the Baker Film, so why not make a song about the number 1, which would be better, since at the very beginning, it mentioned the number 1."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe 1 was originally planned to be a number that sponsored the show, but then the producers changed their minds. Or maybe Jim Henson produced a one segment without knowing or caring whether one would be a sponsor.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lately, info on a lot of season 1 episodes have been added to Muppet Wiki. Not every first season episode yet, but I have a feeling that every episode from the first season will get a page at Muppet Wiki soon. Anyway, it seems like during the first season, almost every episode had a baker film or two. It seems like each epsiode was sponsored by 2 and/ 0r 3, 4 and/ or 5, 6 and/ or 7, 8 and/ or 9, ord 10. It seems like for almost every week the same letters and numbers are used as sponsors, even if some episodes don't have every sponsor (the muppet wiki pages for the first five episodes confirm that W, S, E, 2, and 3 sponsored the whole first week, though episode 2 was only sponsored by 3, one episode from that week was only sponsored by 2, and some epsidoes are sponsored by less letters). It seems like for the whole weeks, the same two baker films were shown in every episode of the week, regardless of whether both numbers were sponsors (though 10 normally sponsored the show on it's own, and only the 10 baker film was shown all week). Wanda the Witch was also shown in all of the first five epsiodes, even ones not sponsored by W. I wouldn't be surprised if epsiode 8 originally had the baker films for 4 and 5, and Noggin edited them (weird that Noggin would edit two baker films out of an epsidoe, especially if they weren't in any other episode shown... why not just keep one of the baker films and edit one of the two Jazz cartoons from that episode?).

Anyway, in the week of episodes 86-90, each epsidoe was actually sponsored by different numbers. episode 86 was apparatly sponsored by 2 and 3, episode 87 was sponsored by 4 and 5, episode 88 was sponsored by 6 and 7, episode 89 was sponsored by 8 and 9, and episode 90 was sponsored by 10. Odly enough, the Muppet Wiki page for epsiode 90 doesn't mention any baker films being included, but episode 86 featured the baker filsm for 1, 2, and 3. Three baker films in one episode! However, after that week it seems like the show went back to the pattern of the same numbers sponsoring the show each day of the week.

paulyw

Reaction score
Baker Numbers and THe Jazz

I don't Think they exist on the current sesame street, but I always liked them. Poor baker would be a mess, when he falls down the steps.

ISNorden

Reaction score
No "Jazz #1" (the official version of those clips' titles) was ever made; I'm guessing that the animators thought it was pointless to include a number that never sponsored an episode for years.

Ironically, the first episode to have 1 as an official sponsor--not just teach it in the occasional rare clip--aired in 1986. By then, parents had started complaining enough about their kids imitating the baker, that the "Number Song" clips got banned from new episodes. Just when CTW needed the guy with his wedding cake... ;-)

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I think the thing that surprized a lot of fans was when the Baker #10 film was seen in the Season 35 Premire (The Street we Live on) episode #4057. That totally blew my mind when I saw it, because at that time the baker films had not been seen on the show in 15 years. I hope in some of the upcomming seasons they bring back more of them, at least once in a great while. I love the Baker films.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder why the number one did not sponsor the show at first. Could the producers or writer shave thought it would be difficult to come up with segments about the number one? I think that the Mad Painter and Pinball Number Count series could have easily had segments about one, since those skits really just showed what the numbers looked like (all of the Pinball Number Count segments teach kids to count to 12, with the featured number just being spoken by the singers).

I have read some sources that said that the baker films were last shown in 1986, and some that say they were shown until 1988. I think I've seen a Muppet Wiki page for at least one post-1986 episode featuring one of these sketches.

ISNorden

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I wonder why the number one did not sponsor the show at first. Could the producers or writers have thought it would be difficult to come up with segments about the number one? I think that the Mad Painter and Pinball Number Count series could have easily had segments about one, since those skits really just showed what the numbers looked like (all of the Pinball Number Count segments teach kids to count to 12, with the featured number just being spoken by the singers).
You're probably right about the difficulty problem. Recognizing 1 as a digit (and remembering its name) is different from knowing about 1 as a number of countable things. The earliest consultants who worked with CTW probably thought that even a preschooler wouldn't see much of a point in counting just one object. But "name/shape recognition" series, like Pinball Count and the Mad Painter, still could've included clips about 1 way back when.