1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

It's Official: Caroll Spinney retires from Sesame Street after nearly 50 years

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Convincing John, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Daffyfan4ever

Daffyfan4ever Well-Known Member

That would have been interesting to see. Seems like there would be some chemistry between those two characters.

LittleJerry92 and ConsummateVs like this.
  2. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Dude, I would be so down for seeing that!

He probably would've cameoed in "Life's a Happy Song" or just appeared in the background with no dialogue as an easter egg. :laugh:

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I've heard second/third-hand rumors that he was either going to be one of the telethon celebrity phone operators, or they were going to use him instead of Pepe in that brief Dirty Dancing scene.

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What number are their hands now?

Froggy Fool and Bliffenstimmers like this.
  5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

This is sad news, but I'm not really surprised. It is great that he'll achieve his goal of making it to season 50 (and season 49 hasn't even started airing yet).

But I see a lot of people online talking about this (and this applies more to reactions from fans on Facebook than on the Muppet Central/Tough Pigs forums), but I feel a lot of people are reacting to the news as if he had died. He's still alive, even if he's no longer involved.

I've heard he's made an "ambassador" of Sesame Street. I wonder what that means.

Pig's Laundry and LittleJerry92 like this.
  6. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

MC's Twitter is saying that he made it through 49 years and not 50.

7. D'Snowth

Production-wise, yes. They usually shoot each season at least a year in advance, so even though they're working on TV Season 50, year-wise this is still the 49th year that SS has been around.

8. minor muppetz

After seeing that tribute video Sesame Workshop did to honor Caroll Spinney, I was thinking that's the kind of thing Sesame Workshop hasn't done for its official YouTube channel, and hope they can do more with other performers and people involved with the show.

But now I wonder if maybe they were planning such a series and it's a coincidence that it was uploaded right when Caroll announced his retirement. Unless he already talked about it to Sesame Workshop and the video was put together and they were saving it until he retired. But I noticed that at the beginning, Guy Smiley refers to Spinney as the guy who plays Big Bird (not played, though he was still to do the characters for one more day), and there's no mention in the actual video (just the description) that he's retired.

Froggy Fool and LittleJerry92 like this.
  9. D'Snowth

I can't quite remember, but didn't they do something similar for Jerry Nelson's passing and Fran Brill's retirement?

10. minor muppetz

Maybe they did, but I don't think they were on the official Sesame Street YouTube channel.

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Considering there was the whole NY Times article, I think it's safe to say they had this planned for a little while now.

I don't recall them doing anything for Fran (aside from the in-joke in The Cookie Thief special). I do remember when Jerry passed away, the YouTube channel uploaded a few videos in a bulk that features his characters.

mbmfrog likes this.
  12. D'Snowth

That's what I thought.

13. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Here are some beautiful pictures from Caroll's final performance on Thursday courtesy of Sesame Workshop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mbmfrog, Froggy Fool, zns and 8 others like this.
  14. D'Snowth

Excuse me while I slip away somewhere so I can ugly-cry.

15. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Lol, Tyler and Tau clapping from down on the floor. Also, Carmen's hair is on point.

Man, these pics are great. So amazing to see so many people there. I especially love the second to last one with Caroll and Debbie.

And dagnabbit, now I'm having feelings! :(

16. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Here's Caroll's retirement cake.

[​IMG]

mbmfrog, Froggy Fool, Any Del and 7 others like this.
  17. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I'm literally starting to tear up a bit now. The pic with Deb hugging Caroll with Matt and Eric in the back is especially really emotional. :cry:

18. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

The last photo with Debbie, Matt and Eric. Wow I very nearly cried

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  19. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I'm just crying over in the corner....ignore me...

20. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Please excuse me while I go cry in the corner...