It's Official: Caroll Spinney retires from Sesame Street after nearly 50 years

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm so happy that the show managed to find performers as amazing as Matt Vogel and Eric Jacobson to take on his characters. The characters are in very capable hands.

One thing that's amazing about Caroll is how he just totally embodied his characters. He was an amazing character performer, you never once doubted that Oscar and Big Bird were alive.

From what I hear, Caroll is just as genuine and sweet as Big Bird. I'm very happy to be one of the few people to have known who the man inside The Bird is for several years, and I'm just as happy to have grown up watching him on TV. A real living TV legend, one that deserves to be recognized and celebrated like Carol Burnett and Norman Lear. He's influenced my life and my art more than anything I can think of.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Nearly 50 years of such hard work and dedication... that's quite impressive, and shows just how much he loves working with Sesame Street.

Carroll has more than earned his retirement, and he will definitely be missed on the Street. Thank you, Carroll Spinney, for completing my childhood and for being such a wonderful man. :wisdom::grouchy:
Oops, sorry for spelling Caroll's name with two R's. My bad. :embarrassed:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I recall him mentioning that he officially planned on retiring after the show's 50th, and wouldn't you know it? He managed to accomplish that phase!

Like most people, I knew he would eventually be at the point where he'd be ready for retirement, and I'm thoroughly amazed that he made it. It's also nice to know that his characters are now in good hands...well, OK, yeah they have been for a while now, but still.

So, I guess this leaves me to say Thank You, Caroll for all 50 years of entertainment you've given to fanatics around the globe- whether they were as :wisdom: or :grouchy: or Bruno, or...you get the idea! You are a true legend, and I'm sure I speak for everyone, when I say you will truly be missed. I hope you enjoy your well-earned retirement!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My local news mentioned his retirement very briefly this afternoon.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I cried a bit when I heard the news, but I realized that he truly deserved this given his role in the overall series. Honestly 50 years being two polar opposite characters in an educational series. Just wow. That alone makes me speechless.

Thanks for the great childhood memories Mr. Spinney. :grouchy: