Is MUPPET an insult in the US?

GuySmiley

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I was just wondering, because here in the UK MUPPET is used as an insult if someone does something stupid or thick

as in

'You are such a muppet!'

Just wondered if this happened across the pond as well!?

Cheers,

Guy!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Those sick UK Muppets!

Actually, I've never heard that one. That's kinda sad. Almost... cool.

Muppet fans over here (as far as I know, anyway) are called alot of stuff, but never refered to as a Muppet. I could describe to you in more detail what we're called, but I might get banned from the site.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've heard that as a comment toward someone walking funny or with funky-colored or fluffy hair, but not as an insult of personality. I think someone's pulling your leg. Wait, Muppets don't have legs! Just kiddin! :wink: :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
No Muppet definitely is used as an insult of personality over here, but at least its more affectionate that others terms used. Just as long as yuou aren't called a 'son of a Muppet' !

anathema

Reaction score
I don't think it's exclusively a UK thing though - if you do a search (title and content) on eBay for 'muppet', there's a good few items that come back simply because the seller has berated some muppet of a buyer in their listing, and I'm pretty certain they're not all based in this country :smile:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I think it's different in the US.....After all, a friend of mine just described a guy as "cute, in a Muppety way"!!!! :wink:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I dont think that people use it to say 'Stupid' or 'Thick', I think its used more like saying 'You donut!" or something like that.

Its not really an insult, Get what im saying ?

If i was going to say to someone 'Your Stupid!' then i would want to say it loud and mean it, But if i was to call someone a 'Donut' or 'Muppet' i would be happy while im saying it and probably because they just did something funny.

Although, i dont call people Muppets alot... But i always get called a Muppet - LOL!

:big_grin:

anathema

Reaction score
Nonetheless, it is also used to mean 'idiot', 'moron', and a whole host of other words that the forum will censor if I post them here ;-D

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i've never known someone to use the word muppet to mean something bad, or ever good. actually if i decided to talk about the muppets in one of my college classes people might think i'm strange or something! but as far as i'm concerned, the muppets are a good thing in the u.s.

ryan

GuySmiley

Reaction score
Hmmm, very interesting!

Yes, I think I might have been going a bit far - its not a serious insult here, but is used when someone has done something stupid.

I can't imagine it being used during a pub fight!!!!

Guy!