Is MUPPET an insult in the US?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There's folks who think every puppet is called a Muppet, or a Muffet.

I've called folks "Muppets" before for the reasons Frogboy cited above.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
There's a girl who used to come into the library where my brother works. She used to wear these colorful scarves, one time she ven came in wearing a boa. My brother told her: "Do you realize how many Muppets had to be killed to make that?" :embarrassed:

Ah! Good times, Good times.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
People have said I walk like a Muppet when I'm happy.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's either when I'm happy or need to pee. I can't remember which. I guess it doesn't matter. :concern:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
It's either when I'm happy or need to pee. I can't remember which. I guess it doesn't matter. :concern:
thanks for sharing!!..how do muppets walk anyway??......i never saw the movements they had when i saw them on screen walking....

ryan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You don't actually see their feet, but their upperbody has a sort of bounce to it. You can't watch the Muppets for two seconds without seeing the tradtional Muppet walk.:wink:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
My definative answer to the posed question is: Yes, the term "Muppet" can be and has been used as an insult in the US, and well as other places around the world (I assume, being the UK members stated as such).

I'm sure it stems from the childish nature of the characters, but moreso puppets in general, being they are so often associated with children and things of an infantile nature (thus not fit for an "intelligent", "thinking kind" of person). So, in a way, I think we can kind of be happy that people call others "Muppets" rather than some other troupe of puppets, being it shows that the Muppets are the most popular and well known. I mean, you kind of have to be a bit of an idiot to use the word "Muppet" in a malicious manner, as we all know that a) the Muppets branch out so much father than Kermit, and b) Muppet comedy is SO much better than that of most humans.

So, yes it can be an insult, but I wouldn't really delve into it very deep. :wink:

-Matt

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
You don't actually see their feet, but their upperbody has a sort of bounce to it. You can't watch the Muppets for two seconds without seeing the tradtional Muppet walk.:wink:
oh ya, now i remember..

ryan

muppetfreak12

Reaction score
heeheehee! I've never heard of muppet being an insult. I guess you learn something new everyday! Calling a muppet a "muffet", is an insult I've heard. :smile: