Is Bert being phased out?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's face it. Ernie has gotten huge portions of popularity lately (almost dethrowning Elmo's stay). This year, "Journey to Ernie" has been aired on Sesame. Each episdoe of this segment ends with an Ernie sketch. Though some of them ae classics, featuring Bert (and some new ones), they are mostly songs sung solo (or with Elmo or Grover, in a very funny skit) or "Ernie's Show and tell" segments. I know that Frank Oz is busy with other career options, and only does a few days of filming a year, but Eric Jacobson plays him quite a lot, so that's no excuse. Is it because of certainrumors? Mayhaps the ne'erdowell student who put him with pictures of hated enemies lost his credibility. Oh why can you never see Ernie and Bert together anymore?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to see "Play With Me Sesame" on Noggin?

Each episode features at least one classic Ernie & Bert skit, along with new Ernie & Bert segments recorded just for the show.

juliette

Reaction score
I think now that Eric Jacobson is performing Bert, we are seeing more of him than we have in the past couple of years. Hopefully this means his presence on Sesame Street will increase in the next couple of seasons. Ernie seems to be more popular with small children, but Bert has his moments too.

And most of the Ernie-based segments that follow "Journey to Ernie" do feature both Ernie and Bert.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I certainly hope so! Bert and Ernie are a clasic comedy team! And Phil, I do not have cable, let alone Noggin (which over here, you need satelite or digital cable to get), so I'm afraid I miss out on that one. I know they just released the video, Ernie and Bert's Word Play, and I look forward to renting it or something someday soon. I also really want to get the Bert and Ernie talking Motorcycle, as well.

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
Today on Sesame Street, the Journey to Ernie sketch didn't have Bert in it, but Bert and Ernie were standing outside their apartment.

Adios,
~Megan~