Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

jediX

Reaction score
I don't really read many novels mainly because of the mass of school books I have to read, but I'm really enjoying Lord of the Rings right now. Elsewise, a couple of my faves have been Johnny Tremain, And Then There Were None, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (the ONLY SW book I accept as canon to the series).

Beebers

Reaction score
Did you read The Hobbit first? I'm not a purist, just wondering. I read them in order when I was a kid, now I re-read them any old way but I'm glad I read The Hobbit before the others.

What is your major? Or, if no major, what are you studying?

Johnny Tremain, wow, I'll have to read that again, it's been many many moons. Great book.

:cool:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
jediX said:
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (the ONLY SW book I accept as canon to the series).
Which one was Shadows of the Empire? I read A LOT of the Star Wars ones back in the mid-90s. Personally, I always preferred Timothy Zahn's trilogy that began with Heir to the Empire (I can't remember the other two's titles).

These were some of the first mass-market novels based on the Star Wars universe in the early 90s. I wish they would've adapted those into sequels intstead of making the prequels. They really have the feel of the original movies while adding in some cool new characters.

jediX

Reaction score
I read Hobbit back about 5 years ago. SOTE takes place between Empire & Jedi and was made into a series of figures and one of the few SW games I that wasn't rushed.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Did you read The Hobbit first? I'm not a purist, just wondering. I read them in order when I was a kid, now I re-read them any old way but I'm glad I read The Hobbit before the others.
I think I was probably about 3 when my dad first read me "The Hobbit." :stick_out_tongue: I read it myself for the first time in first grade. Even though I was pretty familiar with the story of "Lord of the Rings" right along, my dad didn't read it to me until sixth grade. I felt soooo grown up. :stick_out_tongue: It took him three years... :eek: I'm just finishing up reading "The Hobbit" again, and coming right out of the film of "Return of the King," I can't help but be struck by how inconsequential Bilbo's quest is by comparison. The style of the book is very different too, definitely written "to children," with lots of narratorial asides, which Tolkien later regretted. Still, I'll always love "The Hobbit" and will always identify myself with Bilbo. Plus, it's the source of my quote to live by: "You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you; but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world, after all!" :wink:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I really liked The House of Spirits, which I read in German.
I read that in 11th grade. We were supposed to have a big test or something on it, and then we never ended up doing anything related to the book at all. I was kinda bummed; it took me quite a while to read. But I really liked it. I thought it was a really good book. A couple years later I read "A Hundred Years of Solitude," and that reminded me of it a lot.
Erin

Beauregard

Reaction score
jediX said:
I don't really read many novels mainly because of the mass of school books I have to read, but I'm really enjoying Lord of the Rings right now. Elsewise, a couple of my faves have been Johnny Tremain, And Then There Were None, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (the ONLY SW book I accept as canon to the series).
Like wow. Then There was None had me sooooo creaped out. I was curled in an armchair and didn't get up till I'd finished. Oooooh. *fells creeped even now*

dmx10101

Reaction score
I don't really read books that much, a few non-fiction/reference books, but thats about it. They make me fall asleep. I prefer movies/video games. I get my reading from the internet.

jediX

Reaction score
I've never been scared by a book, but watching The Exorcist at like 2am when you live near a cemetery is a BAD idea.