Interesting Gulf War News

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Sidcrowe

Yes that was very well thought out. Not necessarily all of it true, but well thought out.

Bush rushed into war? Wasn't the U.N. resolution enabling the use of force to force Hussein to rid himself of weapons of mass destruction passed in November? Here it is 5 months later. How much time should we have given him? How long would it be necessary to keep those troops at his border?

No smoking guns? What about the missiles that violated the range limits? What about the drones that were banned? What about his inability to account for the anthrax, Vx, nerve gas that he possesses? What about the Scud missiles that he is currently firing that were also banned?

Although I am completely against nuclear weapons myself, many historians subscribe to the theory that the use of nuclear weapons in Japan saved countless lives by bringing a quicker end to the war and preventing a long drawn-out invasion of Japan. As far as a demonstration of them over the ocean I'm not sure that would have been enough. We had used one nuclear weapon and Japan still hadn't surrendered until we used the second.

As far as the war bringing on more terrorists attacks or making millions of Muslims hate us? I've got news for you. They all ready do. It didn't take an invasion of Iraq to trigger 9/11. More terrorist attacks would have happened even if we didn't go into Iraq. If anything, it will possibly prevent an attack in the future.

Completely decimating a country? Before we make such a bold statement, let's wait and see how things develop. So far there have been well-chosen surgical strikes and money has already been set aside for the rebuilding of Iraq.

Thijs

Reaction score
I agree with what you say, Sidcrowe.

The US is bombing government buildings at the moment. It's ridiculous! Just to kill one man! Can't they send groundforces only? "No", Bush says, "then we will have to many casualties." Well, now Iraq has many casualties and Bush doesn't care a thing if he says things like that. At the moment, the 4 most dangerous people on earth are Bin Laden, Bush, Saddam Hussein and Blair.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
The US is bombing government buildings at the moment. It's ridiculous! Just to kill one man! Can't they send groundforces only? "No", Bush says, "then we will have to many casualties."
Was Bush thinking when he thought that up? The last time I checked, you can't control how many people die when you fire a bomb into a building. Or, as we have learned by now, fly a plane into it.

Oh, wait. I guess Iraqi casualties don't count, especially if they're working for Saddam. </sarcasm>

-Kim

tomahawk

Reaction score
I find it very sad in the year 2003 that we are still throwing sticks and stones. Evolution didn't end when we grew thumbs. Watching the news I see that the blame game has started. Saddam has set the oil fields on fire. No we would never set the oil fields on fire. We shot down your helicopter, no you didn't. Like it was stated before, it's amazing how childish the world still is.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Keep in mind when I say “We” I’m including the allies.

I’m glad to see folks saying that they appreciate their country, but it still seems silly that there is such sentiment for Saddam and Iraq going on. 12 years of lying and prying, hiding his weapons and saying, “They’re destroyed,” then using them against the allies recently; raping, murdering, pillaging, and confiscating help to and from his own people. Do you REALLY think he’s trustworthy enough that we don’t have to worry about an anthrax bomb landing in our laps?

It’s being talked about by some rings that the high possibility for those countries who are supposedly 'against’ us right now will join in after the dirty work is done. France, for example, has never won a war (except the French Revolution when they battled themselves)! It’s been mentioned, too, that Russia might join in after everything is started, gets heavy, and begins to die down some. It’s just like the Turks, they let us use their air space now. Slowly, the other countries are joining in. But, if you want to talk about childish, how about what the San Franciscans are doing and start having Vomit-Ins (as opposed to Sit-Ins). Here’s where I really feel sorry for Frogboy, cause I’m sure streets full of puke smells eally nice (but then again, there’s never been a problem of that in New Orleans J/K!!)

I do, however, think it’s silly to ‘boycot’ France. Sounds like something Byron would do! LOL!! Back to France, I went there several years ago and the people were very friendly to me, I love the language and the food…it’s really a great country. But they’re lovers, not fighters! :smile:

I can’t believe this is still being debated as a “we should” or “we shouldn’t” case anymore. After all, Iraq’s soldiers are SURRENDERING! Why? Because they realize the evils of the regime for which they have been working where they would die if they opposed being in the military or try to get out. Otherwise, if they didn’t work there and do the dirty work and didn’t have the US and it’s allies to surrender to, they would be shot and killed. It’s the law of the land: Wild Wild West, in the Middle East, of course.

FellowWLover sez, “It is HEAR HERE... come on.”
Thanks, and where’re we goin?! :wink:

Back to my book: the WTC and Saddam mix has been brought up again, but does NOBODY but ME remember Saddam openly saying he supported Bin Laden and his plights against the US? It’s true! He said it. If he openly supports Bin Laden’s efforts to destroy, you should be able to bet on your sweet boopie that he has plans to drop some Slam-bam-thank-you-ma’am on the US and likely other countries around the world. You don’t create weapons of mass destruction to just look at them, and if you lie about having bombs and then use them, what more proof do you need than that to show he’s an under-handed dirty scoundrel of a demon?

SidCrowe sed, “There was no reason not to leave Hussein like that, surrounded and weakened and occupied with the whole world watching, while evidence was collected, or more and more UN inspectors dispatched over time. He couldn't do anything, so why rush?”
Exactly. He had 12 years, and still lied about what he had. Did you miss the fact that he shot scud missiles he didn’t have at our troops? What about those bio-chemical drones? Hmm.

I definitely DO agree with SidCrowe that we should never have done anything in the past to help Iraq against Iran or Ice Cream or whoever!! But, if we don’t get involved, and we don’t keep our eyes and ears open, what happens? WE get smacked. Sure, we nuked Japan; but, what did they do to us first? I do, however, totally disagree with the way it was done, and there were civilians that died—although, there were civilians who died during Pearl Harbor also.

“You don't wipe out a country that is immobilized without good reason.” And Saddam sending scud missiles he didn’t have onto the allies isn’t reason enough to prove that he’s a liar and has other plans? You think he’s really going to try to protect his country with them? Heck, he used them on his OWN PEOPLE!!

“DON'T YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO YOURSELVES AND THE WORLD???”
Everyone says it’s a war without just cause, but what if we don’t do this, what if we let him just keep creating bombs and chemical warfare and then one day he uses it on us? Then, will you all be preaching this just cause argument? No, you won’t be able to because you’ll have anthrax filling your lungs or bombs landing in your face! LOL!! Think, people! It’s not about just the here-and-now, but the FUTURE. He’ll have all these bombs and he will be USING them, or in very least handing them over to terrorists.

“Now you have about 1 billion Muslims hating you–permanently!” And that is different now than in the past how…? :wink:

“because the mega-powerful USA just DECIMATED AN ENTIRE COUNTRY FOR NO GOOD REASON!” Did you not see the ‘day after’ film from the news? The Iraqi people are walking the streets and driving around. Did we ‘really’ decimate an entire country? I don’t think so. The allies are doing their job and doing it right, minimizing casualties as much as possible.

“You've increased fear and hate on Earth, you've added to the chance for MORE WAR, and made us all less safe.” And otherwise, we should have left terrorist-supporting Saddam continue to make bombs. Good call.

Saddam tries to make it look like he's doing a good job when anything happens by disclaiming the facts, just like saying, "I ain't got no scuds" and he does.

Of the 200-300 oil fields, only 30 have been set afire.

Besides the Turks giving us their airspace, the Kurds just joined the allies.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
I do, however, think it’s silly to ‘boycot’ France. Sounds like something Byron would do! LOL!!
I would like to bring up "The Great Letter C Boycott" as Exhibit A...

:wink:

:smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tommie
The US is bombing government buildings at the moment. It's ridiculous! Just to kill one man! Can't they send groundforces only? "No", Bush says, "then we will have to many casualties." Well, now Iraq has many casualties and Bush doesn't care a thing if he says things like that. At the moment, the 4 most dangerous people on earth are Bin Laden, Bush, Saddam Hussein and Blair.
We aren't just trying to kill one man - it's regime change. Saddam has lots of people in his military and government - and where are your stats about Iraq's casualties ? There have only been like 30 injured. If anything, Bush has held back and concentrated on the ground war more to keep the Iraqi casualties down. I notice Iraq were fine to launch slow and inacurate scuds into Kuwait though, a just as populated area. I agree fully on the Allies using airstrikes to pave the way for our Ground forces in the harder tougher areas of Iraq because fighting in the houses and streets of Iraq will cause far more civilian casualties than a few laser guided bombs on military buildings. Bush is right to put U.S casualties before Iraqi ones - when he swore his oath he didn't promise to protect the Iraqi people, he has to look after his own people. You see all the video of Iraqi soldiers surrendering to the American soldiers and them being able to sit down and rest in the desert, get water and accomodation ? Well lets put 250 U.S soldiers in Baghdad waving white flags and see how Saddam treats them !

I know some people are just totally peace loving and are against war whatever but sometimes these things are gonna be neccasary, otherwise we'll see more things like 9/11 and you could end up losing your own life. We can't put trust in these dictators and America/UK haters not to do this, they aren't going to sit and do what they're told when we pass some crappy resolution - they are evil, ruthless and they wouldn't have a second thought about you if you were in their way.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
After all, Iraq’s soldiers are SURRENDERING! Why? Because they realize the evils of the regime for which they have been working where they would die if they opposed being in the military or try to get out.
Or they could be just trying to save their own butts. I bet that the thought of surrendering just so they don't get killed is running through more soldiers' minds than "what I'm doing is wrong; I'd better surrender to the other guy."

-Kim

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Well said Fozzie Bear :embarrassed: and Luke :zany:

What we all seem to be getting away from is one simple question, "Does Sadaam Hussein possess weapons of mass destruction as prohibited by the U.N. resolution passed in November?" The answer to that is YES. All would have to agree with that. Hans Blix himself has said that he has no doubts that Hussein possesses VX, nerve gas, anthrax, etc. but the inspectors couldn't find them. The next question is "What are we going to do about it?" The only answer at this point is to remove Hussein from power. The U.N. inspections didn't work nor would they work even if given more time. If the U.N. inspectors could not find the prohibited Scud missiles and the missile launchers (not exactly a small item) what makes anyone think that they would be able to find vials of anthrax or nerve gas given 3, 6 more months or even a year? Here's the key that many seem to miss. The U.N. inspections can only work if the leadership of Iraq cooperated and that just wasn't going to happen.