Ideas For New Muppet Specials

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Muppets take Manhatten 2. The play closes in record time, because they did not make a new musical by ripping off some lame movie (I do not mean Producers, it rock! Ma is trying to get tickets for the Boston performance! I meant like Big and Footloose!)
Actually, I already made that suggestion. Read the thread I posted above.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know, Daffyfan, I know. In fact, I was going to write a post about Muppet Moive alternate versions.

1) They can't sell a project to Brodway, because they need to steal the plot of a movie to make it big.

2) TMM, Gozo DOES go to India and Makes it REALLY big in films (infact, more films are made in India, than in the US year round. I heard that somewhere!)

etc. etc. you get the point!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
a halloween special or even a special where the muppets spend the summer going to different places that was mentioned earlier would be a good special.......but would anybody besides muppet fans watch a muppet summer vacation special..after all, sumertime is the worst time for television because the networks play reruns and most people don't like to watch reruns...

ryan

pezbalubah

Reaction score
A Halloween special sounds interesting, they could parody horror films... maybe have guest stars like Christopher Lee, Johnny Depp... I'd love to see Kermit dressed as Jack Skellington for some type of parody... If NBC wants another Christmas special however, I think they should do another original tale with Kermit hosting like Emmet Otter or The Christmas Toy. Preferribly with the main characters being puppets. (unlike Mr. Willowbee or so I heard)

beaker

Reaction score
I still say that hotel movie idea is the kind of thing we *dont* need...unless JHC wants the public perception of th eMuppets to truly go down the hill.

But there's the question: What constitutes a Muppet movie versus a special?

Warrick keeps calling it a tv special...but isnt MFC or M@WDW a special? Those are definately specials, but not movies. VMC seemed much more like an actual movie of sorts...wouldnt you contend that it was more of a 'movie' than Kermit's Swamp Years'? That to me seemed more like a tv special(with nice cinematography and a real life swamp)

I myself got a VERY nice notion from that Mastercard commercial...anyone else think the Muppets look absolutely magnificent juxtaposed REAL LIFE Manhattan locations as opposed to stale studio sets? That's why Muppets Take Manhattan smacks down any 90's Muppet film, as it was filmed int he real world.

That said, I think with any special or film coming up, it is imperative a bulk of it be filmed on location in actual real life locations.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Cory,

I think it is a TV movie, Whats a TV movie ? A Special.

I think that this is inline with Kermits Swamp Years, Hey Cinderella!, A Muppet Family Christmas, And The Muppets at Walt Disney World.

I think that because Kermits Swamp Years was geared towards the younger viewers, Its harder to see it in the same light.

See ya

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Cory,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
I think it is a TV movie, Whats a TV movie ? A Special.

I think that this is inline with Kermits Swamp Years, Hey Cinderella!, A Muppet Family Christmas, And The Muppets at Walt Disney World.

I think that because Kermits Swamp Years was geared towards the younger viewers, Its harder to see it in the same light.

See ya
I would disagree. I believe it is the first new Muppet(non Sesame) film since Muppets From Space. At least that's the way I see a lot of people treating it. Notice a lot of people talking about it int he conext of a film, not a special. If it was just some tv special, no way could anything compare to MFC or M@WDW.

Luke

Reaction score
Nah i wouldn't say it's a real movie - that kinda has to be either in theatres or on a serious movie channel without commercials. This was kinda a 'Made For TV Movie Special' - so i'm kinda saying it's both ! LOL !

Gonzo

Reaction score
I would consider it either a Made For TV Movie or a Special...along the lines of the Charlie Brown holiday "specials." I don't think it would stand alone well as a feature film, and don't think it should be considered one. Loved it, but it's not "Muppet Movie VII"

Something with a Holiday theme that the network can drag out once a year if they want to. Along those lines, I'd want to see possibly a Valentine's special...since there are so many Muppet couples--we could see how say, Janice and Floyd, Gonzo and Camilla, Kermit and Piggy hooked up (although that last one has been batted around a lot...). I would like to see a Halloween special, but not necessarily the Haunted Hotel idea. Not sure about that one.

I love the idea of having them be in the real world, instead of on sets--makes it much more realistic, imo.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the NBC Christmas release is a whole other category. It's not a theatrical movie, nor just a special (as Muppet fans are used to anyway). Hopefully it's the beginning of a nice line of made-for-tv films.