I met the original Fozzie Bear Today............

Kermieuk

Reaction score
That Fozzie looks strange!!!His head looks too small for his body.Season 1 Fozzie had the wide grin expression that was motorised.This puppet doesnt seem to have the season 1 features?How was Fozzie set up?Was he a half puppet or legs attached?Was he proped up on something or just slouched on the spot?In a way it's great that you can touch him, but in the long run, it will ruin him.Imagin kids trying to poke his eyes and the dust that will get to him.

Your right, he looks very strange. He actually looks better in that picture than he does on the display. He is slouched on the shelf with some stuffing in the body to support him and they have put a wire through both arms too. The face and mouth are very limp, I think as it has worn the material has sagged. If there is a mechanism in his mouth, it probably needs the puppeteer to operate it and make it 'smile'?
As Fozzie was donated by Jim I am sure its real. I also checked with pictures from the first Annual of season 1 Fozzie and you can see resemblances, where the fur is trimmed around the eyes, its exactly the same he just got old and worn? Look at the pics of The Kerrmit replica after he had been fondled by hundreds of people he doesnt look the same. He was also probably knocking around at Henson's from 1976 - 1988!!
I totally agree that this puppet should be be behind glass and I dont agree with the way he was displayed, its almost as if they dont care about him. He is on the facing wall of the stairwell, so he is well out of reach, I had to stand ona stair and lean forward to touch him, No way would kids be able to reach him. His neck is fully extended on the display item and his ear is hanging down, He could be stuffed better and posed a lot nicer to look more like Fozzie Bear. Also what was surprising is that video cameras are dotted around the museum, but there are none on Fozzie Bear. I am very pleased I got to touch him, but I agree this is not best for Fozzie. :embarrassed:

Chris

Elchippo

Reaction score
Poor guy....not looking too hot. Oh well, we love you anyways Foz! i'm still jealous

muppetperson

Reaction score
Kermieuk said:
That Fozzie looks strange!!!His head looks too small for his body.Season 1 Fozzie had the wide grin expression that was motorised.This puppet doesnt seem to have the season 1 features?How was Fozzie set up?Was he a half puppet or legs attached?Was he proped up on something or just slouched on the spot?In a way it's great that you can touch him, but in the long run, it will ruin him.Imagin kids trying to poke his eyes and the dust that will get to him.

Your right, he looks very strange. He actually looks better in that picture than he does on the display. He is slouched on the shelf with some stuffing in the body to support him and they have put a wire through both arms too. The face and mouth are very limp, I think as it has worn the material has sagged. If there is a mechanism in his mouth, it probably needs the puppeteer to operate it and make it 'smile'?
As Fozzie was donated by Jim I am sure its real. I also checked with pictures from the first Annual of season 1 Fozzie and you can see resemblances, where the fur is trimmed around the eyes, its exactly the same he just got old and worn? Look at the pics of The Kerrmit replica after he had been fondled by hundreds of people he doesnt look the same. He was also probably knocking around at Henson's from 1976 - 1988!!
I totally agree that this puppet should be be behind glass and I dont agree with the way he was displayed, its almost as if they dont care about him. He is on the facing wall of the stairwell, so he is well out of reach, I had to stand ona stair and lean forward to touch him, No way would kids be able to reach him. His neck is fully extended on the display item and his ear is hanging down, He could be stuffed better and posed a lot nicer to look more like Fozzie Bear. Also what was surprising is that video cameras are dotted around the museum, but there are none on Fozzie Bear. I am very pleased I got to touch him, but I agree this is not best for Fozzie. :embarrassed:

Chris
Thanks for the info, Chris.Which Annual did you check?Is it the one with Fozzie,Kermit and Miss Piggy on the cover(The Muppet Show Annual) because most of the pictures are not the Season 1 Muppets.Although there is a small picture in the TV box on the Muppet Telly Race page with the Season 1 Muppets and you can see how the edges of Fozzie's mouth protrude.Also the drawings in the annual show this.I have never seen Fozzie with a long neck.He looks like a Feret!!!I am not doubting IF Jim gave it to them,but sometimes things in Museums are recreations.I beleive some of the Skeksis in MOMI were recreated.:embarrassed:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi,

Muppetperson, believe me this is the original season 1 Fozzie. The picture on the postcard does not show him at his best, also Museum people are not fans and do not know how he should actually look, If I was able to get my hands on him and display him properly he would look like Fozzie!

No the annual you mention is not the one, as, like you said it has mostly season 2 puppets. It is the annual the year before that one, It has Kermit, Fozzie, Sam, Sweetums, Rowlf and two others on the front and Jim with the Muppets on the back.

His neck is also actually longer on the exhibit display. Most of the neck is usually down in the body, I also think Miss Piggy is/was like this, a lot of the neck is hidden within the body.

Also, if it was a duplicate that Jim give them, Why would they make a duplicate of a Fozzie that went through drastic shape changes ready for season 2, I dont think they would waste time duplicating that puppet.

Chris

muppetperson

Reaction score
One final thing that I noticed Chris, is that Fozzie doesnt have his puppeteer hand access sleeves that are at the end of the arm for the puppeteer to work Fozzie's hands!!!The Photo poser dolls dont have these so full lenghth photos can be taken, but as this is a puppet, he should have them.Unless they have been tucked up into his arm?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
TMS Season One had THREE Fozzie puppets:

Fozzie 1.1: the rarely remembered original version with tiny pupils, a rather extreme bell-shaped head, and a frowning/smiling cheek mechanism. Used in the opening credits and a few sketches in the final versions of the first two episodes ("Cowboy Time" in the Juliet Prowse episode and "Close to You" in the Connie Stevens episode)

Fozzie 1.2: lighter colored fur and nose; used in episodes 3-15

Fozzie 1.3: darker fur and nose; used in episodes 16-24 and the reshoots of the first two episodes.

Judging by the looks of it, that would be Fozzie 1.2.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Timotheus

Reaction score
Wow...now I have another reason to want to visit the UK...

travellingpat

Reaction score
Awesome, oh well, he doesnt look the same, so what...hes still Fozzie

Really Cool

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
THANKS FOR YOUR STORY. WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. THANKS FOR THE PICTURE.