How to start making puppets?

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I own every pattern they make except the Mostro so I can vouch for the quality of their product. Very well done and extremely helpful! Pasha is passionate about puppetry and helping others to follow their passion. Once you have the basic pattern and begin learning some of the techniques you can quickly begin experimenting with variations that can lead to other kinds of puppets...like owls!

And for what it's worth if you joined Puppets and Stuff and posted a question like "How do I make a mouth for an owl puppet?" I'm willing to bet you'd have half a dozen helpful replies in less than a day. Can't wait to see what you create!

Trusty Mutsi

Reaction score
I own every pattern they make except the Mostro so I can vouch for the quality of their product. Very well done and extremely helpful! Pasha is passionate about puppetry and helping others to follow their passion. Once you have the basic pattern and begin learning some of the techniques you can quickly begin experimenting with variations that can lead to other kinds of puppets...like owls!

And for what it's worth if you joined Puppets and Stuff and posted a question like "How do I make a mouth for an owl puppet?" I'm willing to bet you'd have half a dozen helpful replies in less than a day. Can't wait to see what you create!
Again, thanks very much!

I even started messing with the initial own design.

http://haroldjennett.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/owlpuppetsketch.jpg

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Awesome! Love the sketches! I'm sure you're going to have a blast and turn out some really cool stuff. Let me know if you get going over at Puppets and Stuff. You'll find me as Puppetainer there too.

Trusty Mutsi

Reaction score
Awesome! Love the sketches! I'm sure you're going to have a blast and turn out some really cool stuff. Let me know if you get going over at Puppets and Stuff. You'll find me as Puppetainer there too.
I just registered and am posting in the intro section now :smile:

HandsomeGH

Reaction score
I too am interested in creating my own puppetry show on youtube. (originally was interested in ventriloquism but found out I just wasn't meant for that lol).

I see Project Puppet is popular so I'll try there.

I'm kind-of wanting to make a bull-dog puppet.

Is this a good starter idea? or should I stick to something simpler?

kyunkyua

Reaction score
Why are the prices for these patterns so ridiculous? I've seen COLLECTIONS of patterns that went for a lot cheaper than this...

Animal31

Reaction score
Personally, I think the sock puppet and melonhead patterns are well worth the money to get started. I started with them and then branched out a bit with my own. I can't say the Monstro is worth it from experience, but I wouldn't say they are ridiculously priced for what you get either....

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Yea I'm happy to buy those patterns because they are a really nice, quality foundation for puppet building.

If you're trying to decid if you'd like to do puppetry but don't want to commit to a pattern, I would suggest http://this.
Paul from puppets and stuff did a free video series on making a simple moving mouth puppet. It's not as good as the puppets you'd get if you got the patterns from Project Puppets but is' a nice thing for getting started.

Jess

Reaction score
I've been working on a Kermit puppet, its my first puppet and its a little rough, but here is what I've got done so far. you can see it on my avatar picture. I also completed the hand last night.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I guess pricing is relative but to me the patterns at Project Puppet are a bargain! You're getting so much more than just a pattern. There is a lot of instruction in there that is quite valuable to a person just starting out in building puppets. As I said earlier I own EVERY pattern they make except the Mostro and I can say I'm extremely satisfied with them all. They were such a great tool and taught me so much when I was first learning how to do this! Great value for my hard earned dollars.