How to start making puppets?

Almac2

Reaction score
The Tumbles P. Bear Project tutorial isn't online any more, but you can find most of it is on the Internet Archive if you'd really like to see it (images may be missing and some links may not work).
Hi Buck Beaver, thank you for updating the link. I am new to puppet making and I also live on a very remote island in the middle of the South Pacific...it is not easy ducking off to the general store to buy products.

But to get on topic...I started making a puppet as in my Avatar and it wasn't something that I had thought out...just kinda happened while I was playing with some foam...but I have found that the easy way to get started is to browse the web and join forums...there is plenty of resources and information.

I am in the process of building another puppet and that is thanks to Adam Krutingers (sorry if I spelt the name wrong) whom made a pattern using a hat...the biggest problem I have is that the video that Adam made refers to a second "Attaching the head to a body" which I can't find or was never made?

Anyhow the upshot is that I have had to learn by doing and through frustration and perseverance we will get there.
:wisdom:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Wow, I can imagine it would be difficult - and expensive - to get supplies in the South Pacific. Whereabouts do you live?

I really think the best way to learn is by doing, although forums like this certainly help.

As for that video, you know I'm pretty sure I saw that a couple years ago. Have you checked Adam's blog? Maybe he posted it there? If nothing else, he has some great process photos posted on it - http://adamkreutinger.blogspot.ca

Ian Mac

Reaction score
My method for making (removable) arms is explained here. If you search the forum you'll find lots of old threads with other methods as well.
Hi Buck some of the links go to a page not found 404. Is there an updated link for your arm connection tutorial.
Cheers,
Ian :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That's a really old tutorial, I did that more than a decade ago I think. I'm actually filming new, updated versions of those old tutorials *right now* (literally) and I've been meaning to for years. Hope to have the first one up in a week or two, but until then most of the old one can be found on the Internet Archive.

Ian Mac

Reaction score
That's a really old tutorial, I did that more than a decade ago I think. I'm actually filming new, updated versions of those old tutorials *right now* (literally) and I've been meaning to for years. Hope to have the first one up in a week or two, but until then most of the old one can be found on the Internet Archive.
Thanks for the reply and link I'll check it out :smile:

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
Hi everyone:
I have a question. I'm trying to build my first puppets and I though I could try with a kind of anything one. Does anyone know what's the better way to attach provisory eyes or noses? I don't find the real Antron here in my country, then I used a comon fleece, but I notice that velcro doesn't work very well on it. I have made two different foam head structures, and I like them, but they will not be easy to cover with fleece, they are more complex designs than a simple anything muppet or a whatnot. But I also have this complete upholstered head, a simple one, to could test eyes, noses, hair and different positions of all that. It's very difficult to make these things here, most of the official materials are not achieved easily today. I can't find the Antron, I can't find felt (I think I will finally be making it), I can't find felt caps, not easy options for eyes, not thicker rubber for teeth (I think I could use that, ethylvinylacetate), very few options for fur or feathers. I'm trying fishing in a desert!
Thanks friends.

Cryptic

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am very new to puppet building. I became interested in learning the techniques involved in order to apply them in building animatronics and various props.... My question is, has anyone ever applied latex right over the foam base of a traditionally made hand puppet? By traditional I mean creating facial features carved from foam on a roly puppet head and then covering the face in liquid latex?

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It's a real dream for me to make puppets myself.
I know how to use a sewing-machine and I've tried out modelling foam and stuff...
What do you use for the "filling" of the puppets?
PU-foam?

Where do you get your stuff?
Is it very expensive?

I am sorry if my questions are "typical" questions and frequently asked, but it's too confusing to me to use the "search" because I English is not my mothertongue and it's hard to read through all the topics for me. *justbeashamed*

Thank you and greetings from Germany,
Charly

Moderator's Note: Of interest to this thread should also be:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21416

I've used some techniques like that, but I don't have enough experience about this. There's a guy, Philip Stephens, on Youtube that knows and shares lot of secrets about making puppets and props. Look at this video, he uses silicone skin;
If you use casts, you can paint the mold interior with latex before empty the foam liquid in it. That makes a skin.

Cryptic

Reaction score
I've used some techniques like that, but I don't have enough experience about this. There's a guy, Philip Stephens, on Youtube that knows and shares lot of secrets about making puppets and props. Look at this video, he uses silicone skin;
If you use casts, you can paint the mold interior with latex before empty the foam liquid in it. That makes a skin.
Thanks for the YouTube reference!