How to make a Grover puppet?

SesameStreet915

Reaction score
Greetings! This my first time here in this forum, and I'm excited because I love Grover!!

I was wondering, what method should I approach to build a Grover-style muppet? I'm having a hard time googling what I need! There are no free patterns I have come across, but there has to be some somewhere!

Should I use foam to create the head and body? The foam head method I've seen on Youtube ends up in a different head shape from Grover's head.

What materials should I use? I work at Jo-Ann's fabric and crafts! This gives me weekly access to all of our materials and products! I would like to know because I want to look tomorrow for my supplies!

This is my first time trying to build a puppet, but I know arts and crafts really well, I grew up doing projects!

In case you're wondering, I am creating Grover to entertain my cousin's 3 year-old birthday party. I would also like to keep him around the house too.

But again, where can I find a possibly free template to suit Grover's shape, and what materials should I use?

Thank you for your time!

- Justin

koala3

Reaction score
Hey i just made my grover puppet myself. Don't have a lot of time but i'll go into more detail when i get back home. Adam Kruinger on youtube has a ball hat puppet head tutorial and it can get you the round shape. The fur does add alot to the head so you'll have to scale it down. The puppet project has tutorials for the hands for free. The fur you really can't find at joanns unless they can special order some. Theres a website called Mendels that has punky muppet fur. Its perfect for all those types of characters. My Grover isn't perfect but he came out great for me. Heres a link to some pictures i uploaded real quick with some descriptions. http://www.flickr.com/photos/105048251@N02/ Always happy to help!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Koala 3, your Grover looks great.

How do you achieve that great look on the fur? How long do you submerge it in water? What temp do you use??

Great job,

Chris

koala3

Reaction score
Thanks! On the fur i got a small plastic bin and poured the hottest water i could get from the kitchen sink, then dumped three bowls of water i heated in the microwave for 3 minuets. Then i submerge the fur for 15 minuets, maybe a bit longer because i got distracted. Rung it out in the shower, ran my fingers through it to make it monster messy and let it hang over the shower over night and then some. I noticed the current Grover also has his fur more brushed on the face and the one from a few years ago was a bit more shaggy. Going to work on a super Grover costume next! :super:

TikiColadas

Reaction score
Thanks! On the fur i got a small plastic bin and poured the hottest water i could get from the kitchen sink, then dumped three bowls of water i heated in the microwave for 3 minuets. Then i submerge the fur for 15 minuets, maybe a bit longer because i got distracted. Rung it out in the shower, ran my fingers through it to make it monster messy and let it hang over the shower over night and then some. I noticed the current Grover also has his fur more brushed on the face and the one from a few years ago was a bit more shaggy. Going to work on a super Grover costume next! :super:

Great job!

CowbellaPiggy

Reaction score
Thanks! I actually made him too big so I'm making another smaller Grover. Not sure what to do with "over sized" Grover since it was my first and I didn't build it well. People did like the Super Grover costume I made him! :super:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/105048251@N02/
I would love to adopt your Grover sitting on the black recliner playing video games.... he's perfectly floppy/huggable looking! Please see my profile then let me know how much you want for his adoption fee :super:

koala3

Reaction score
I would love to adopt your Grover sitting on the black recliner playing video games.... he's perfectly floppy/huggable looking! Please see my profile then let me know how much you want for his adoption fee :super:
Send me a message :smile:

koala3

Reaction score
nice job! What did you use for the helmet?
Craft foam! I cosplay a lot and 90% of things are made of craft foam! Thick 5mm black from hobby lobby. Just draw the shapes with marker, cut them out, and hot glue them. Buy some nice metal looking spray paint from Home Depot. I like using nickel and dark knight i think they're called.