How is Bobo operated?

Frogster

Reaction score
So I watched Muppets From Space a lil over a week ago, and I can't help but wonder, how is he operated? he doesn't have the sleeve coming below the arm like Fozzie and he's not blanketed over like Rowlf... anyone?

Walter

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surpised if there was some post-production magic involved..

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I always assumed he was operated in the same way as Big Bird, at least in full-body/walking shots. As for the closeups, I imagine he could still be singly-performed, maybe the same way; with a clear fishing line looping through/around his neck to move his right arm around in similar motions as his left, at least up and down, heh.

Dearth

Reaction score
For certain shots, Bobo's hands are in such perfect synch that I have wondered if one operator might be doing both of those, concealed inside the character's bulk, while Bill stands slightly behind and just does the head. There's precedent, with Chef and Rowlf, but normally for live hands, the assist is just doing the right hand, so that means Bobo's a little different.

Alex

RedPiggy

Reaction score
It'd have to be similar to Bobby Vegan and Samson McKnight, right? I mean, they're roughly the same type of puppet, I guess.

The Mush

Reaction score
I always assumed he was operated in the same way as Big Bird, at least in full-body/walking shots. As for the closeups, I imagine he could still be singly-performed, maybe the same way; with a clear fishing line looping through/around his neck to move his right arm around in similar motions as his left, at least up and down, heh.
I thought the same until I gotta book on "Muppets from Space" that showed Bill Barretta under Bobo, so I'm saying Bobo is a Live-Hand Muppet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I always assumed he was operated in the same way as Big Bird, at least in full-body/walking shots.
I think The Muppets Take Manhattan is the only time he was used as a full-body character, long before he became ana ctual character. He migth have been seen in full-body form in Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree.

I think I read somewhere long ago that Bill Baretta wears something for support which holds up the heavy puppet.