How did Elmo become so popular?

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yep and thats why they changed it. Hardly no kids back then were as smart as they were back then. Back then kids (not to be harsh) but not to bright and they had to hear the same thing over and over again and again. I hate now I watched but still now its not the old days hard to believe that back when i was born it was still the same just w/ more characters. 80's ruled but now 21 centry sucks. Sorry but its true. Its like all ya'll said my youngest niece won't even set through the old episodes maybe the first half then its on to something else. Before long Sesame Street will end up being 30 mins of just Elmo. U know I think if Jim were still alive today it would still be the same as it has been through the years but until we get a time machine thats a long time. Oh well hope they at least they might bring back some episodes on some other channel but until then I'll just have to wait 'til the new season comes out. :cry:

WiGgY

Reaction score
I don't buy the argument that kids today are smarter. I think it has to do with attention span. There is too much to do now with computers and video games and all this wonderful technology. Sesame Street just doesn't keep the mind occupied as much.

To say that kids already know their numbers and alphabet is not the best argument. I mean, they can't know them as soon as they are born. Obviously at some point kids are taught this stuff. But when you have a flashy video game, or a puppet repeating 17 to you for an hour, what are you going to choose?

That is why they changed it. It's all about the attention span. One of my many teachers once said, "You can't teach anything for more than 15 minutes without boring your students." and the same applies for Sesame. If you notice, all the segements have been shortened to at most 15 minutes.

I predict that in 10 years all children's entertainment will be condensed into a 5 second brain implant, then children will be feed 2 pounds of sugar and told to bouce off the walls all day. The future doesn't look bright.

ssetta

Reaction score
What do you mean SHORTENED to 15 minutes? The segments have been made LONGER, not shorter. Like the uncut Street Scene, Journey to Ernie, and the 15-minute Elmo's World.

rexcrk

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
I predict that in 10 years all children's entertainment will be condensed into a 5 second brain implant, then children will be feed 2 pounds of sugar and told to bouce off the walls all day. The future doesn't look bright.
Those darn lucky kids!!! That sounds like fun! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

uhhhh, I mean... yeah, the future really doesn't look bright!

Why are you looking at me that way? :halo: :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll meet everyone about half way...

you see, I feel that Elmo's popularity soared with Rosie O' Donnel appearances, and the Tickle me Elmo (Ernie's popularity surged with Sing and Snore Ernie, as well... I think some toy could have contributed to the resergence to Cookie's popularity, but I don't know yet)

ELmo has been popular since the 80's. I remember the Book SS Unpaved said Jim Henson said this about Elmo's popularity: Keep going, it's bigger than us.

I feel Elmo is more popular because kids identify with him. If you're 3, who do you think you'll sympathise with more, a game show host, a Cleauseau-esque version of Sherlock Homes, or a 3 year old monster? Personally, I identify with both Telly and Oscar, but that's another story.

I do not think Elmo's character has anything to do with the structure of the show (besides his own segment). Even before Elmo's world permired, you could tell they were getting into structure (at one point all the letter and number segments were organised to be in groups of three). I agree with what Wiggy's saying. They have way too much competition between the computer, other channels, and the like.

But then again, I always felt Elmo's world was very slow, and could be cut up a lot more. I.e. the part where they talk to kids. I mean, I think it is too long, and I do not like how it's been squashed into the last 15 minutes of the show. Personally, I think Elmo's world should be it's OWN show, but since Nogging wants more Nick produced shows (including entertainment news. Nothing stimulates the old noodle like hearing about celebrities personal lives, eh?) and PBS has hard enough time putting SS in to the menagere of crummy Teletubbies type shows. Yes.... we're stuck with it. I pretty much reluctantly accepteds it, though.

I just thought it was more painful for Baby Bear to have a segment of his own... but that's pretty much on life support now....

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Im not even going to touch on this one......... I still want to work for them.... :sleep:

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
My mom pretty much said what you guys said. Elmo kinda relates to the younger audience with his bright red color and high-pitched "cute" voice. Me, I prefer the older cast (Grover, Cookie Monster, Bert and Ernie, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, and The Count). I haven't watched Sesame Street in a long time, and I don't really want to if it's been a bit, um, "dumbed down". Is there any Sesame Street show that features the older stuff?
Yes, Play with Me Sesame shows a lot of old stuff that hasn't been used on the show in years and was never on Noggin

gfarkwort

Reaction score
yes it was it infact sesame street used to be on 7 times a day (I'm including Play with me Sesame) but then they re-formated it and its down to 3 or 4 times a day.