How can I attach Fring feathers as hair?

CoOKiE

Reaction score
OK, so here my question. I wanna learn how i can use the ostrich feathers as hair (ex: Animal, Homer Honker, Fraggles, Gonzo, Floyd) but i dont understand it exactly.

As i'm finding out, 1 feather is not cheap. I think 1 site was asking for $17 for 1 feather. Since i'm running cheap, i figured i should ask for help.

Questions:

Whats size feather am i looking for, when i want long hair (ex: Homer Honker, Wembley Fraggle, etc)

How many should i buy for alot of hair like the two characters listed above

And how can i attach it?

I would naturally assume you cut them from the stem, and glue 1 at a time

I know of some sites that teach tips to puppet building, but know of none that show how to attach these feathers... i suggest someone should do that as i assume many would like to know

Toasty

Reaction score
For characters with a thicker head of hair (Like Animal's), you will have good luck getting Ostrich (or Marabou) fringe (sold by the foot) instead of using individual feathers.

http://www.tonyhill.net/productCat95937.ctlg

Then cut short lengths (I used 2 to 3 inch pieces for my Chet character's hair---see my profile pic) and attached with hot glue, creating the hairline and hair direction you're after. You'll have lots of control over the final look this way, and it is less tedious than attaching individual plumes one at a time.

For small detail sections or sparse coverage (Like Gonzo's little 3 accent hairs), it's best to treat those individually.

Good luck.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thank you. But i'm still a little confused... you mention that it "is less tedious than attaching individual plumes one at a time"

Are you not cutting them and like curling the stem of the feather?

And your profile pic is exactly what i'm going for. How mush should i be buying for 1 puppet?
Your profile pic looks like maybe 3ft?
Thanks for the help :smile:

wes

Reaction score
Buy plenty you can use it with others the feathers look great on puppets.

the longer feathers look better they are flowy and airy.

you can attach with glue or sew it on. first i would pin the hair and diagram the placement of the fringe. then attach premently.

if your just attaching just a few sprigs, cut a small piece of and wind it up, then glue it behind the eye to hide the glue spot.

thats just how i did it. hope it helps

Toasty

Reaction score
Thank you. But i'm still a little confused... you mention that it "is less tedious than attaching individual plumes one at a time"

Are you not cutting them and like curling the stem of the feather?

And your profile pic is exactly what i'm going for. How mush should i be buying for 1 puppet?
Your profile pic looks like maybe 3ft?
Thanks for the help :smile:
Each little plume found in those lengths of ostrich fringe isn't stiff, and the cord material they are mounted to is very flexible also. I think you might be confusing this stuff with actual feather quills, which have the thicker shaft. Those come from a different part of the bird and are probably too stiff and "feathery" to look like the hair you're after.

The fringe trim I linked to in the last post is pictured on that site in the shape of a circle. It's actually a straight line.

This fringe trim is more like a feather boa, but with only a single row of very soft and wavy feathers attached to it in a line. The feathers are so light and long that just the slightest amount of movement causes them to animate really well.

There are lots of different ways that this cord can be attached to the head of your puppet. I like to cut short lengths of 2 inches or so because it's easier to hot glue and control where I stick them down that way. A 2 inch length of the trim might have about 50 ostrich fringe feathers attached to it. For my character Chet's hair, I wanted each section of fringe to point in a certain direction (to make him look like he had a full head of slightly tussled hair when finished), so I started at the back of the head, near the neck, and worked my way up to the center. Then, I created a parting hair line by changing the direction on top of his head and the attached the areas around his eyes to create the look I was after.

I think I bought about 3 feet and ended up with a bit less than a foot when finished. I still may fill in the back of his head a bit more though at some point.

Hope this helps.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thanks again.

I actually was reffering to the actual feather and thats why i was so lost. I looked at your site and didn't realize that the cord was going to be different.

And that site helped alot because i see that its much cheaper then what i originally was looking at.

Thanks again! You helped out alot.

btw... i checked out your videos... good stuff. I personally liked the video where Chet shows the difference in the sizes of his feet

Toasty

Reaction score
Thanks again.

I actually was reffering to the actual feather and thats why i was so lost. I looked at your site and didn't realize that the cord was going to be different.

And that site helped alot because i see that its much cheaper then what i originally was looking at.

Thanks again! You helped out alot.

btw... i checked out your videos... good stuff. I personally liked the video where Chet shows the difference in the sizes of his feet
Hi

Glad I was able to help you. And thanks for taking the time to check out my videos. Your compliment is very appreciated!

Cheers