Henson may make more Fraggles

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6777515/site/newsweek/
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6777515/site/newsweek/)

Newsweek Jan. 10 issue

Fans: Rock On, Fraggles

Note to obsessive fan sites everywhere: you're being watched. That's what Warwick Brownlow, a fan of the 1980s series "Jim Henson's Fraggle Rock," recently learned. In April 2002 Brownlow launched an online petition, pleading to have the series released on DVD. After garnering more than 30,000 e-signatures, HIT Entertainment, a licensing partner of the Jim Henson Co., announced that this month it would release selected episodes from the first season. "This is the direct result of fan support," says Lauren McCabe, a HIT representative.

That's news to Brownlow, who learned of his impact from NEWSWEEK. "Well, that's brilliant," he says. "We knew they were watching us, but we didn't think they'd do anything about it." Studios usually don't, says Tom Adams, president of Adams Media Research, though that's beginning to change. Fox's "Family Guy" and Sci-Fi's "Farscape" are both back in production after fans demonstrated con-siderable support. Henson co-CEO Brian Henson says the studio's now considering filming new "Fraggle" material. Let the petitioning begin.

—Elise Soukup

© 2004 Newsweek, Inc.

T

timrikthegorf

New Fraggle material. Hmm.... Well Doc is a little old and Jerry Nelson has retired, other than that I think they could do it. I wonder if Jerry would come out of retirement for one last production. For King Gorg he only needs to sit they, work the mouth, and read so even if he doesn't do Gobo he should be able to do King Gorg. Richard Hunt will be hard to recast though.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
timrikthegorf said:
New Fraggle material. Hmm.... Well Doc is a little old and Jerry Nelson has retired, other than that I think they could do it. I wonder if Jerry would come out of retirement for one last production. For King Gorg he only needs to sit they, work the mouth, and read so even if he doesn't do Gobo he should be able to do King Gorg. Richard Hunt will be hard to recast though.
I haven't seen 'official' news that Jerry's retired. Where did you see that? I only know they were looking for someone to replace him with, but that doesn't mean he's retired yet. Could just be an understudy, y'know?

T

timrikthegorf

No, he's not apart of MWoO at all. All his characters have replacements now. He will only continue to play the Count on the new Season of Sesame Street, and I think that's voice only. He's retired.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Awesome news! I hope Brian's quote is true and we can see the fraggles back in action.

We talked about some new Fraggle production possibilities based on the facts that it's been a long time since the fraggles were last seen and things have changed "behind the scenes" and such. Check it out here: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=17585

King Jim

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I haven't seen 'official' news that Jerry's retired. Where did you see that? I only know they were looking for someone to replace him with, but that doesn't mean he's retired yet. Could just be an understudy, y'know?
Well, I think he's the right age to retire.

Xela

Reaction score
Is it such a good idea though? To bring them back after 22 years? I would love to see this happen, but I just don't know how it would turn out... :embarrassed:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
It might not be the same fraggle-5, 3 gorgs, Human and dog returning in any new Fraggle productions. It could be new characters in the same world. It would not be the same without Jerry (Gobo, Pa Gorg), Richard (Junior Gorg), and well the only human - Doc reprising their roles, but they could create new characters.

T

timrikthegorf

Or it may not be a new show, just some new shorts or something. No matter what I hope Steve comes back for Wembley and Dave comes back for Boober.