Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Kinda reminds one of the fight amongst Fraggles of visiting the carpet or the burger place. :stick_out_tongue:
Exactly, that's what makes the episode so brilliant. We don't realize just how much loyalty we give to mindless media sometimes.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's good that they're taking a second glance at some of the organizations that might be doing questionable things. That's really all this was and is about. Other than that their CEO can think whatever he wants. People can choose whether or not they want to go there. End of story.

I see their concession as mainly a victory for Capitalism, but in America what else is new? :wink:
I'm fairly certain that Cathy and his family will privately donate money to the same anti-gay causes as before, just not under the CFA banner. I disagree with the politics, but that's the responsible way to go about it.

As for what Henson did, they expressed their support for all people and donated their CFA proceeds to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to counter-balance the donations of CFA that could have been construed as tied to their name. That was responsible too.

I'm tired of people citing freedom of speech as some sort of passport to say whatever they want without accountability. That freedom does not exist for anyone. If what you say offends someone, they have the freedom to respond in kind. That's why it's a good policy to be good to one another, especially with those we disagree.

Cathy's statements were initially said as a CFA representative. That's why he was being interviewed in the first place. CFA is a private organization and they have every right to openly say and believe what they wish. However, they could be held legally accountable if those words create a hostile work environment. Lawsuits anyone? This whole situation was unwise. Even many like-minded enterprises would think twice about partnering with such a polarizing company. That's why they were getting the nuttiest of extremists to support them and that just doesn't look good.

What they've done is definitely about money. No doubt. I just think back to 2004 when a candidate could spook the voters by making gay people into the boogymen. We are now a force to be reckoned with. What a difference 8 years makes.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that Cathy and his family will privately donate money to the same anti-gay causes as before, just not under the CFA banner. I disagree with the politics, but that's the responsible way to go about it.
Yeah in the end that would be the most fair. It's just him as an individual donating then.

Now some will ask "then why don't other CEOs donate to pro-gay marriage causes privately and not through their companies"? That is a valid question...

I'm tired of people citing freedom of speech as some sort of passport to say whatever they want without accountability.
Yeah it's funny, people mistake free speech as "you're not allowed to complain about my opinion." Um no, lol. You can have your opinion but you don't have the right to tell everyone else to be quiet, lol.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Yeah in the end that would be the most fair. It's just him as an individual donating then.

Now some will ask "then why don't other CEOs donate to pro-gay marriage causes privately and not through their companies"? That is a valid question...
Even though social issues can be polarizing, nobody is oppressed by gay rights. There is an intentionally deceptive campaign out there that two freedoms cannot exist at the same time. These people prey on the fears and prejudices of others. Many of these same folk believe that the exploration of science evolution is somehow destructive to our country when the opposite is true. There's a culture out there that believes in dominionism. Scary.

Yeah it's funny, people mistake free speech as "you're not allowed to complain about my opinion." Um no, lol. You can have your opinion but you don't have the right to tell everyone else to be quiet, lol.
Very true. People often mistake free speech as having the last word.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Apparently the issue isn't over.

Many LGBT supporters aren't buying CFA's change of tactic and many anti-gay CFA customers are upset that the restaurant seems to be backing down. Also, it appears that their WinShape Foundation will still hold fund raisers for anti-gay political action groups and have instructed all checks be addressed directly to each cause instead of their company. It's a loophole that I kind of expected.

I personally don't care what CFA does at this point. Marriage laws will change in time, but much of the prejudice will remain no matter what. This entire situation has exposed that ugly truth. :attitude: