Henson Biography available for pre-order

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is going to be a book a lot like Street Gang just focusing on Jim instead of Sesame Street. If you have followed the authors blog you will know he did a lot and I do mean a lot of research interviews and other things to make sure he got the whole story of Jim's life.

Street Gang tended to provide paragraphs and even pages of biographical information on nearly everybody mentioned, regardless of how important or associated with the show they are (though there are people who are very important to the show who were mentioned who didn't get much biographical information... It seems biographical info on Jerry Nelson was small compared to others, and Roscoe Orman was only briefly mentioned, though an unpublished section on him was at the official website). I hope this biography doesn't do that too much. I don't mind if it gives a little history on Jim's family and the key people he's worked with (Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Don Shalin, and so on).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is going to be a book a lot like Street Gang just focusing on Jim instead of Sesame Street. If you have followed the authors blog you will know he did a lot and I do mean a lot of research interviews and other things to make sure he got the whole story of Jim's life.
I also read the Mindset's review and it made me very exited. I think that for the fans that love the behind the senses type of things this is will be the book for you. I hope anyways.

Well, there's a difference between what Street Gang was covering and what this is covering. It's a biography of Jim, so why wouldn't it focus on him?

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Street Gang tended to provide paragraphs and even pages of biographical information on nearly everybody mentioned, regardless of how important or associated with the show they are (though there are people who are very important to the show who were mentioned who didn't get much biographical information... It seems biographical info on Jerry Nelson was small compared to others, and Roscoe Orman was only briefly mentioned, though an unpublished section on him was at the official website). I hope this biography doesn't do that too much. I don't mind if it gives a little history on Jim's family and the key people he's worked with (Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Don Shalin, and so on).
I agree, that was the only major complaint I had about the book. Oh, so the lawyer who said hi to Joan Ganz Cooney in 1976 when they were on the subway needs a frickin' eight page biography? No thanks.

But what I meant was that, like Street Gang, this is going to be an extremely detailed and thoroughly-researched piece.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I can't wait for this. Less then 2 weeks away! I find myself checking Amazon daily just hoping for some reason it shipped early. :jim:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well the promo for the book was taken down and replaced with a new promo:

The only change I could tell/remember is how a clip from An Evening with Jim Henson and Frank Oz was presented. In the old version, we see Kermit and Cookie Monster, but in this one it's changed so it just shows Jim with Kermit. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there, if it's focusing on Jim Henson.

That part of the preview where some of Jim's characters is interesting, it only mentions Sesame Street characters (including Kermit). Obviously they were allowed to use a Kermit clip from An Evening with Jim Henson and Frank Oz, and the book has images of Disney-owned characters. It would have been great if that section showd a sample of characters from different productions, some from Sesame, some from The Muppet Show, and some from Fraggle Rock.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well the promo for the book was taken down and replaced with a new promo:

The only change I could tell/remember is how a clip from An Evening with Jim Henson and Frank Oz was presented. In the old version, we see Kermit and Cookie Monster, but in this one it's changed so it just shows Jim with Kermit. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there, if it's focusing on Jim Henson.

That part of the preview where some of Jim's characters is interesting, it only mentions Sesame Street characters (including Kermit). Obviously they were allowed to use a Kermit clip from An Evening with Jim Henson and Frank Oz, and the book has images of Disney-owned characters. It would have been great if that section showd a sample of characters from different productions, some from Sesame, some from The Muppet Show, and some from Fraggle Rock.
It's a cute ad and I can't wait for the book, but I'm going to be honest. This was the best footage of Jim they could get? Really? We've all seen much better clips of Jim. I just think his amazing life deserves better representation. Thank goodness the book will reportedly take care of that. :smile::jim:

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Anyone going to the Museum of Moving Image book signing with Brian Jay Jones and "special guests?" I'd have to skip class, but it might be worth it... haha.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's a cute ad and I can't wait for the book, but I'm going to be honest. This was the best footage of Jim they could get? Really? We've all seen much better clips of Jim.

Well I suppose they couldn't get any clips owned by Disney or Sesame Workshop. It would have been great if they included some Jim footage from Henson's Place and Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
anyone getting the audio version of this book? would love for when the book is released for a mp3 file...

Status
Not open for further replies.