Help me like MFS

CousinLuke

Reaction score
I look at the reviews section of the site and see the Muppets from space reviews and notice that for some reason people on this site seem to love or at least like the movie. I can barely stand it. The only good part is it introduced Pepe. Is there something I can not see? Please help.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Many people dislike the film. It seems to miss the spark of earlier projects and I really didn't like it when I saw it in the theater. But once it came to video I didn't mind it so much. It's nice to see the Muppets out and around in the real world. There's also the return of the Muppet van. Very cool! I just move from fun bit to fun bit and forget about the movie as a whole. There are a few gems in the film, so I just concentrate on those.

beaker

Reaction score
Dr. Cory to the rescue!

To truly appreciate Muppets From Space, there are two ways.

1) Just watch the first 20 minutes. The opening Noah's Ark epic thing...segweighed into that huge Muppet 'brick house' musical number...wow. When I saw this in the theatre I was lik 'OMG!!! The Muppets are back!" Sadly the whole Covnet thing moved in shortly after, and well you know the story. Oh, also fast forward to any scene with Pepe...any joe schmoe who saw it will at least tell ya the one thing they remember is Pepe!

2) Watch the thing with the MST3K video commentary. It actually becomes more amusing than most of the movie, and kind of redeems itself...sort of. Lots of injokes and stuff...fun stuff!
I wish they would do that feature more often.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
the muppets jamming to brick house is awesome!!! i love that song

ryan

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i love MFS, or at least the first half. All the Muppet movies move VERY slowly, but the pace on this one is slightly faster at the beginning so you don't get that 'falling asleep' effect you do with some of the others after the first few viewings. As Cory mentioned - it's the whole Covnet thing that was the problem with MFS - the enthusiasm was there and the 'look' was great but sadly the script went home to bed early with the flu !

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I just received MFS last month and I really enjoy watching it. I think maybe it's because it's not one of the funnier Muppet movies. At the beginning Gonzo is so sad and you can't help but sympathize with him. I also like how his friends risk their lives to save him when he was kidnapped. I think people are used to seeing classic humor from the original Muppet Movie and have trouble enjoying the post-Henson films. Just my opinions on this.

CousinLuke

Reaction score
Thanks, I had seen the commentary and thought it was pretty good and do enjoy the DVD (wow, sounds like i'm talking about Kermit's Swamp years), but my memory of the good parts (Pepe and the opening) must have been overshadowed by the bad parts (The plot). i Should probably watch the movie again, with my lowered expectations.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Yeah, if you can get over your own expectations, it may be ok...I was just so disappointed by it that I can't quite get that flavor out of my mouth.

The first twenty minutes was great, and there were a few bright moments after that....but any time a human's on screen it just dies....that Jeffrey Tambor-Dr. Phil guy and Bobo just really killed it for me.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As GMC was kind of the Piggy movie, this one seemed like the Barretta movie. His characters were the bright spot. I just can't understand how they could have space in the title and not really go to outerspace (except in the dream sequence).

I think most fans were looking forward to seeing them riding on a ship through outerspace, visiting a planet and maybe have some Pigs in Space references. Isn't that kind of what everybody pictured after hearing the title? Maybe it was just me. There are scenes from that film I'd like to hurl into outerspace. LOL! But there were some gems. I'll spank you like a bad bad donkey, okay!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
aww i liked it...i was so happy to see something new! it was also my first muppet experience in a theater. i thought it reflected the way people are today...heres a good and bad list

good

Miss Piggy was AWESOME and that was some awesome hair (simple but awesome)

Pepe (what more must i say, okay?)

Flashlight song (more Pepe)

bad

plot moved slow at times, and too fast at others...i wanted to see more of the party at the beach!

Flashlight was the ONLY song we heard a muppet sing and it was in the credits Brian Henson said himself he thought that was their only mistake, cutting out musical segments.

Loved characters were kept out of the picture

HEY DID ANYONE NOTICE THIS???

i was watching MFS last night and i thought i saw something weird....where they are watching UFO mania on the couch it goes to a shot of Kermit and you can see the lamp behind them, which looks VERY VERY close to the disney D coincidence or not??? you decide??? has anyone else noticed that??? or am i just totally off the ball here? which i just might be....:rolleyes: but i don't think so....

Sarah