Having a serious virus issue -- in dire need of help!

jediX

Reaction score
So I turned my desktop pc on yesterday morning and it worked just fine, until about 5pm, in which the computer began logging me off without me noticing it. Also, I can get connected online, but cannot send/receive data (I'm on my laptop right now, which is bug-free). I reinstalled Windows (xp home) and my modem drivers, but I cannot get online to renew my antivirus subscription, which expired about a month ago.

I'm pretty much dead in the water without that machine, and I just got it brand new last July. If anyone has any advice on how I can get a new antivirus on there or fix the problem in general, PLEASE help (and telling me to get a mac will only make me more frustrated with this). I'll be incredibly grateful to anyone that can... thanks. :frown:

anathema

Reaction score
Are you sure it's a virus? Reinstalling Windows should have killed off anything like that.

jediX

Reaction score
I have no idea what it is. Here's a few other things it's doing:

When I'm logged in, it usually says the username at the top of the start menu. Sometimes, the name disappears, and the programs button does not work. Also, the shutdown tab, when pulled up in this state has log off and switch user. It is quite bizarre, and it all started happening yesterday.

jediX

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be blowing my ram expansion or dsl fund on a new drive to back up my files so I can reformat. Sigh....... Why does life always get more stressful when you're under enough stress as it is? I wish there was a pause button, or cure relative's cancer card. :sympathy::frown::cry:

Whatever

Reaction score
I'm so sorry about that! I just got rid of a virus on my computer. Luckily my dad paid to update the virus scan. For about three times, each time I turned my computer on it swore it had caught I virus. So I ran the scan about four times and each time it caught more infected files until it was finally all gone. I don't know what you should do but I hope it works out!

maurakl

Reaction score
an online scan that I used

You might try this site for an online scan. It takes a long time, but it took care of one for me. It disinfects your computer, too, if possible.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

Have you checked for spyware? That can really mess things up, too.

I hope this helps.

maurakl

anathema

Reaction score
The problem appears to be that his C: drive has become corrupted. It is very doubtful that this was caused by a virus; it's much more likely that either some application has misbehaved, or Windows itself has screwed up.

Whatever

Reaction score
D@%#! All of a sudden some kind of pop-up ad thing called ezula got installed on my computer. It is annoying as h*&$ and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.