Has Sesame become less educational?

Ziffel

Reaction score
True, Bob Keeshan turned down an offer to be in the new Captain Kangaroo show when it was brought back a few years ago. They were making changes he didn't like and refused to let him do his show his way (which was brilliant for years and years). A lot of things fall into the category of "they don't make em' like they used to" and Sesame Street is a glaring example. The old shows were very educational, entertaining, and absolutely brilliant. Modern SS is so tremendously inferior in all levels. The last three years or so you rarely ever see even one clip from the 70's, but the few years preceding that (like 1999-2002) you often saw one or two. Whenever I caught a show then and saw a vintage clip and then saw the modern stuff afterwards, the juxtaposition really nailed home just how much today's children are missing out on!

Censored

Reaction score
I too am a big Captain Kangaroo fan. I think the only thing worse than modern Sesame Street may have been the attempt at creating an "All New Captain Kangaroo" show. Bob Keeshan wasn't the Captain and it had none of the magic of classic Captain Kangaroo.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Mister Fred said:
Barney was not good. Ask Bob Keshan of "CAPTAIN KANGAROO". He was not happy with the current format of programs on television for children. I don't care what anyone says but "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" was the best followed by Sesame Street and so on. If any of you remember Captain Kangaroo, it was on a long time & very educational. When it was on CBS, the captain picked the commercials to use to make sure they were not violent or bad.
why are we bringing this thread up again for? it's been covered.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Mr. Dressup

I forgot another good program called "MR. DRESSUP". Its filmed in Canada & almost everyone you ask up there has grown up watching it. He is really good and draws pictures has puppets that talk with him, and he looks in his tinkle trunk and gets dressed up. I have seen it a few times and it's pretty good.

mjb1124

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily say SS is less educational, but it is definately geared to a slightly younger audience these days (especially with Elmo's World which I can't stomach), and it has less to offer for the adults who watch the show with their kids and/or grew up with it.

FshyFshyFshy

Reaction score
Sometimes I think about MRN and something that Mr. Rogers felt adament about...NOT changing a thing. I heard it said one time that the staff/writers he worked with would suggest on occasion about speeding things up or doing things differently in one way or another and he always refused to change a single thing. He knew what worked, and stuck with it, despite changes in the world around him, he always kept his show the same and provided that welcome & familiar place for children to visit.

It makes me think about SS and the new directions they've gone...IMHO, I think the writers should take a lesson from Fred Rogers.