Harvey Beaks: New Nick series

mr3urious

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, Nickelodeon has ****** me off before, but now i've reached new levels of hatred towards the network:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/nicke...greenblatt-apologize-cartoon-brew-144630.html
Totally not surprised. Nick (the network, not the animation studio) has a history of screwing its creators over, starting with John K. for Ren & Stimpy. That one was mainly because he went over budget and behind schedule, not because the show was too gross and demented. And let's not forget how Constant Payne failed to move past the pilot because the creator wanted to unionize their animation crew, not because a sequence that came too soon after 9/11.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I guess i'm not surprised but, I just don't get it. Why does Nickelodeon put money into these shows if they refuse to air them, refuse to promote them, and refuse to create any merchandise? It just doesn't make sense! Um, Nick, I hate to tell you this but, your never gonna make any money if there's no marketing push for your shows!!! Oh, and also, even Spongebob and Rugrats didn't get massively popular over night :mad:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Totally not surprised. Nick (the network, not the animation studio) has a history of screwing its creators over, starting with John K. for Ren & Stimpy. That one was mainly because he went over budget and behind schedule, not because the show was too gross and demented. And let's not forget how Constant Payne failed to move past the pilot because the creator wanted to unionize their animation crew, not because a sequence that came too soon after 9/11.
I'm happy with the success of The Loud House and all, but Nick's been poor for years with the handling of cartoon series. At least since Spongebob was canned the first time. Harvey Beaks and Pig Goat Banana Cricket shouldn't share the same fate as El Tigre, Catscratch, and TUFF Puppy. Breadwinners? Ehhh... yeah. But even Sanjay and Craig got to finish its run on Nickelodeon. I don't see why they can't just dump them on weekday slots until they run out and then send it to forcibly retire on Nicktoons.

I guess i'm not surprised but, I just don't get it. Why does Nickelodeon put money into these shows if they refuse to air them, refuse to promote them, and refuse to create any merchandise? It just doesn't make sense!
Considering even merchandise heavy TMNT moved to a 9 Am Sunday Slot without notice or promotion, I wouldn't say that's exactly the case, but it's a good 75%. It sucks they basically ran Spongebob into the ground, but it's a combination of that and insisting kids love terrible live action sitcoms and game shows. Like I said, TMNT moved its timeslot with not even a commercial (considering their post-movie/post-space season 4 episodes were widely advertised, with a KISS song no less), but they've done nothing but advertise more Paradise Run episodes and their usual Saturday Night crapcoms. When even their strongest merchandised show is in jeopardy (to be fair, it's probably because the second TMNT movie bombed), there's something about the network's leadership that just doesn't care, and still thinks in that awful 2005 Hanna Montana era of kid's programming. Suffice to say, the best thing to happen to Adventure Time was not being on Nick.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Amid all the bitter and sad feelings we have toward Nickelodeon, it doesn't look like all the episodes are being dumped to Nicktoons, at least not yet anyway. The show is supposed to be having a Christmas special coming this month:

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2016/11/nickelodeon-usa-to-premiere-brand-new_9.html

I also saw news about it on Nick's YT channel and the Harvey Beaks writers Twitter account.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else see the Christmas episode? It was a half-hour anthology using stop-motion for the framing segments, and was very beautiful and heartwarming. Much of it was told without dialogue, letting the quality of the musical score shine through. Technobear's score was my favorite, which showed the character buying a pair of red high-heels for Harvey's mom, which he has a crush on. Only for
Michelle (who was at the door with her mom) to think the shoes was for her and try them on herself, leading to a quick dance number with her & T-Bear, and one of the few times she has ever smiled.

mr3urious

Reaction score
After seeing the tear-jerking finale where Foo and Fee's parents finally reunite and take them back to their homeland, along with an origin story of how they first met Harvey, it's really making me yearn for a spin-off sequel where we get to see life in their new home, perhaps set a couple years after.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
After seeing the tear-jerking finale where Foo and Fee's parents finally reunite and take them back to their homeland, along with an origin story of how they first met Harvey, it's really making me yearn for a spin-off sequel where we get to see life in their new home, perhaps set a couple years after.
UGH, I haven't watched this show in a long time because it always makes me mad, due what Nick did. But i'm glad they got to make a proper finale. It would be great if they could have a spin off on TV or in comic form. Unfortunately, as we know, Nick clearly doesn't care enough about the show to do so.
It just really makes me mad, the show was clearly growing a fan base, and even when they stopped advertising new episodes, a good amount of people still watched. Say what you will about Cartoon Network turning into the Teen Titans Go! channel, or Disney Channel dumping all their cartoons onto Disney XD, but neither of them does this to their popular shows. I mean, sure CN shows have freakishly long hiatuses, but at least they keep the shows going and advertise them when they have new episodes. And I know they never promote Adventure Time anymore, but at least they had six seasons before the network stopped caring. SIX SEASONS. Harvey Beaks barely made it past it's first! And what of that new show Welcome to the Wayne? Haven't heard anything about it in months.
At this point, whoever is picking shows for Nick, and whoever is in charge of their schedule, they NEED TO BE FIRED. I don't giving a flying funko if that sounds harsh, this needs to stop! Animation is clearly a profitable business. Nick should know this. It's what put them on the map. Maybe they could make the Nicktoons channel more widely available and just put all of their cartoons there. Or maybe they should stop listening to focus groups of a bunch of 40-year olds telling them what kids like, and actually talk to real kids! God, it's so frustrating! I thought things would've changed by now, but they just haven't. They've been trying to do the same dull thing for over a decade, and it's just not working anymore. Out of all their live action shows, Henry Danger, sometimes Thundermans, and maybe Ricky, Licky, Flicky, and Tabby are the only three live action shows I ever hear kids say they actually like. And even then, they don't have the devoted fan bases that the cartoons have.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
UGH, I haven't watched this show in a long time because it always makes me mad, due what Nick did. But i'm glad they got to make a proper finale. It would be great if they could have a spin off on TV or in comic form. Unfortunately, as we know, Nick clearly doesn't care enough about the show to do so.
It just really makes me mad, the show was clearly growing a fan base, and even when they stopped advertising new episodes, a good amount of people still watched. Say what you will about Cartoon Network turning into the Teen Titans Go! channel, or Disney Channel dumping all their cartoons onto Disney XD, but neither of them does this to their popular shows. I mean, sure CN shows have freakishly long hiatuses, but at least they keep the shows going and advertise them when they have new episodes. And I know they never promote Adventure Time anymore, but at least they had six seasons before the network stopped caring. SIX SEASONS. Harvey Beaks barely made it past it's first! And what of that new show Welcome to the Wayne? Haven't heard anything about it in months.
At this point, whoever is picking shows for Nick, and whoever is in charge of their schedule, they NEED TO BE FIRED. I don't giving a flying funko if that sounds harsh, this needs to stop! Animation is clearly a profitable business. Nick should know this. It's what put them on the map. Maybe they could make the Nicktoons channel more widely available and just put all of their cartoons there. Or maybe they should stop listening to focus groups of a bunch of 40-year olds telling them what kids like, and actually talk to real kids! God, it's so frustrating! I thought things would've changed by now, but they just haven't. They've been trying to do the same dull thing for over a decade, and it's just not working anymore. Out of all their live action shows, Henry Danger, sometimes Thundermans, and maybe Ricky, Licky, Flicky, and Tabby are the only three live action shows I ever hear kids say they actually like. And even then, they don't have the devoted fan bases that the cartoons have.
Also, one more thing to add:
I hate Nickelodeon. I HATE their business model. I HATE how little they value the creators of their shows. I HATE how little they value and understand their audience. I HATE THEM! I HATE THEM! I HATE THEM!

On a lighter note, I heard SpongeBob has been renewed for fifteen more seasons.