Hanna-Barbera

Drtooth

Reaction score
Straight from Frank Welker's mouth from a Bot-Con panel...

Scooby-Doo Meets KISS.

Surprised that one didn't happen sooner, actually.

mr3urious

Reaction score
If there's one H-B show I would love to see a reboot of, it's Wildfire. It's a cartoon aimed at girls with a lot of the same stuff girls would like (magical kingdoms, princesses, candy-colored horses that inexplicably talk, etc.), but it avoids being saccharine like so many others of its kind and has a very strong female lead in the form of Princess Sara. In short, it's a more hardcore version of the original MLP cartoon that totally fell under the cracks in its own time.

Warner Bros. has yet to re-air Wildfire or put it on home video or legal streaming or anything, but all 13 episodes are available on YouTube, so watch 'em while you can! :smile:

Last edited:

scooterfan360

Reaction score
If there's one H-B show I would love to see a reboot of, it's Wildfire. It's a cartoon aimed at girls with a lot of the same stuff girls would like (magical kingdoms, princesses, candy-colored horses that inexplicably talk, etc.), but it avoids being saccharine like so many others of its kind and has a very strong female lead in the form of Princess Sara. In short, it's a more hardcore version of the original MLP cartoon that totally fell under the cracks in its own time.

Warner Bros. has yet to re-air Wildfire or put it on home video or legal streaming or anything, but all 13 episodes are available on YouTube, so watch 'em while you can! :smile:

yes !I loved wild fire I will go to youtube and watch later

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know how I mentioned Scooby-Doo meeting KISS and how it didn't happen sooner? I TOTALLY forgot the What's New Scooby-Doo Halloween special, where they were somehow the featured performers at a town's Halloween party.

That said, I caught the movie on CN a few months back. It's what you'd expect. It has an air of purpose campiness to it, as expected. It's actually quite fun, but I wouldn't buy the video.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Speaking of Scooby, in a latter day interview, Joe Barbera mentioned an idea for a Scooby movie he had - "Scooby-Doo at Zombie Woodstock," or something like that. Still a man of crazy ideas after all of those years.

Incidentally, Hanna Barbera Cartoons are listed in the Encyclopedia of Guilty Pleasures (or 1001 Things You Love to Hate). I didn't even know this thing existed. May have to pick up a copy some day.

Anyway, I think that's exactly what HB's work is to most of us fans - guilty pleasures.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find most of HB's stuff to be high enough in quality and fun that they don't need to be guilty pleasures. Barring most of their 70's stuff, of course.

Think about it. The Flintstones could have been written off as a theft of intellectual property from Honeymooners, but the show instead managed to make a rich world for itself and surpass the early sitcom multiple times over. The Jetsons managed to make an early satire of the technology paradox in which things get easier, but they're still pretty messed up. Or as Lord Helmet in Spaceballs was one to remark "Even in the future nothing works."

Sure, the early 60's was when they had a galaxy of wacky celebrity voice sounding animal series, some with very similar plots. But there's at least some art to them. And let's not forget that their action shows shows like Space Ghost were the reason that ACT wound up forming. Not a good thing necessarily, but certainly a huge movement like that coming out of their shows only proves how powerful they were in that decade.

Now, it's essentially just for Scooby, Tom and Jerry and marketing. Old shows that only nostalgic cartoon viewers have heard of still manage to pop up as the occasional vinyl figure. That's huge. You can't even find Looney Tunes stuff on a regular basis.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Just rewatched a few of the late 80s Superstars 10 TV movies. Boy, do they have a tendancy to drag. Each runs about 90 minutes without commercials. I feel as though the writers had decent enough ideas for these movies, but struggled at stretching everything out to fit the running time. The best of the lot is easily "The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound," a hilarious Western parody cowritten by John Ludin and future "Animaniacs" producer Tom Rueger.