Halloween is just around the corner

D'Snowth

Reaction score

I honestly can't even remember the last time I dressed up for Halloween. If my memory serves correctly, I think maybe when I was twelve, and I dressed as a pirate, because I had been binge-watching MTI all that month (before binge-watching was considered a thing).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well dang! Comcast already flipped their Sounds of the Seasons music over Christmas.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
(sigh) It’s still July, and a Halloween store already opened up on Polaris Parkway.
I guess I’m kicking the thread off this year.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found and read through the 2021 31 Nights of Halloween lineup.

:grr:
Major Grievances (dunno how to present in bulleted list form or "List of x number of items" form either).
1 Mehtilda! Every single stinkin' year.
2 Mrs. Doubtfyarl, WTFrog?! That's a three-hour block they could have given to either Sleepy Hollow (1999) or Sweeny Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
3 Except for Friday, October 1 2021, they have only one movie early and then a two-hour block of Family Guy Halloween episodes at 9-11 PM. Which makes me think they're keeping Family Guy Fridays in spite of the Halloween season, so that's a loss of however many Fridays for the month of October going forward.
4 Beetlejuice's absence from the schedule.
5 Frankenweenie. Yes, it's included, but it has only two airins. Which wouldn't be that bad if it weren't both at midnight three weeks apart.
6 Other movies that make me say "What do these films have to do with/justify being in the Halloween programming schedule" include Hook, POTC4: On Stranger Tides, and X-Men First Class. The Shreck franchise I'm meh about, but why only three out of the four movies?

As for the good points.
Not so much a good point as so much as their slant this year with the schedule and annual premieres, they've decided to bring in the first three Jaws films. That and they've gone extra-terrestrial on us what with the first two Men In Black films and a couple of Aliens films as well.

The truly good points.
1 Sequencial films are paired together with only a few exceptions. We get three out of the four Ghostbusters films, the latter two Hotel Transylvania films, both live-action Maleficent films, both Goosebumps films, both Monsters Inc and University (if only aired once), and the Shreck films all bundled together in back-to-back airings.
2 For the first time since I started watching, the year they aired Beetlejuice and the three Poltergeist films sequencially, Halloween Day itself will not be an all-day Hocus Pocus scareathon.

So while I applaud the fact they keep bringing in new films as "Freeform Premieres", I mourn the fact they keep films that have no business poking their noses into the graveyard and imposed Family Guy Fridays.
*No wonder I'm looking to buy certain films for my own library. :scary: :batty:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Of course, once again, Music Choice won't play any of the original RHPS songs on their Halloween playlist (except for "Over at the Frankenstein Place"), but keep playing those godawful GLEE covers . . . I shouldn't be surprised by this at all, they haven't played any of the original RHPS songs in years.

wiley207

Reaction score
With Halloween coming, I thought I'd share my latest cosplay, the title character of the 1952 Merrie Melodies cartoon "The Turn-Tale Wolf!"

The head is a vintage vinyl rubber "Bad Wolf" mask made by French mask company Cesar from the 80s to the 2000s. Cesar made some of the best vinyl masks in the industry; back then they were like a decent bridge between the cheap plastic Halloween face masks for kids (the kind often included in those Ben Cooper/Collegeville-style costumes) and the more upscale full-head latex masks (as while Cesar's vinyl masks cover the entire head, vinyl is somewhat inferior to latex, but it DOES last much longer!) The derby is a costume hat I bought off eBay, and the turtleneck sweater is from Amazon. (Classic cartoon tough guy wardrobe!) The cigar is a fake plastic one, left over from my dad's Groucho Marx Halloween costume he often wore every year. The blue pants are a spare pair of sweatpants I had planned to use for my Zak Wolf half-suit, but decided against it amongst learning they had no pockets. I gotta say, I'm REALLY impressed with how my costume came out! Maybe I will save it for a future Halloween or convention (as this year I'm going to be wearing Zak Wolf once again, now that the Halloween festivities are going back into swing!)

"Does THIS look like malarkey?!" ...
"Of course, uh, WE know I lost it (my tail) in a swingin' door!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Masks are decent, but for past Halloween’s I’ve enjoyed having my face painted up.
I’ve done Dracula a few times, once a mummy, and a friend who has a steadier hand than me did me up pretty well. Mostly whiteface (one time as Dracula she tried green) black eyes and lips, a little blood from the mouth. Simple, but it works so well.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I never bothered with facial coverings in my costumes (mostly because they never required them). Nor have I ever got my face painted for fun. After all, why mess with perfection?