Hal Miller: "Captain Countdown"

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
Every so often, someone posts something inquiring about Harold "Hal" Miller, the second actor to play "Sesame Street's" Gordon (for two seasons, 1972-1973 and 1973-1974, after Matt Robinson and before Roscoe Orman).

A couple of years ago, I looked for some information about him on the internet and I found a website for "Westbeth Artists Community" where he and his wife were listed among a bunch of other artists. He had a biographical page about him, which has since been taken down, but on that page there were a couple of interesting photos. One was a shot from "Sesame Street" (as I recall, the biography stated that Miller was the "favorite" actor in a poll of viewers regarding who should replace Matt Robinson as Gordon) and there was another photo which I found very interesting, showing Miller as another character, "Captain Countdown," which the site said was a show aired on the Nickelodeon network (it didn't say what year). I have not been able to locate any other information about this show, or even if "Captain Countdown" was the title character in a show or a character on some other unknown show. From the character's name, it almost sounds like he could have appeared on some sort of special, either a New Year's Eve countdown or some other type of one-shot appearance. I apologize if this is some obvious thing that regular Nickelodeon viewers know, but if this was in the late 1970s or 1980s or after, I probably would not have been paying attention to children's programming on Nickelodeon (which I didn't start receiving until 1985 anyway). I have the photo if anyone would like to see it.

Anyone ever heard of this?