Guest stars who seemed to dislike being on the show

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought I'd make a list of all guest stars who seemed like they did not like being on The Muppet Show (in the context of the episodes, not their real feeling towards being on the show).

Here are guests who i do know of who acted like they didn't like being on the show:

Harvey Korman
Jaye P. Morgan
John Cleese
Tony Randall
Carol Burnett

Are there any others?

BEAR

Reaction score
Now, just to clarify, these are guests who just put on that they didn't want to be on the show, not the actor in real life disliking being in a Muppet production. Correct?

With that said, Gene Kelly didn't want to perform on the show. He just wanted to watch. Of course in the end, he gives in.

superfan

Reaction score
Although funny, somehow, those episodes gave me an uneasy feeling...like it was too real or something. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to be on TMS!??

BEAR

Reaction score
superfan said:
Although funny, somehow, those episodes gave me an uneasy feeling...like it was too real or something. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to be on TMS!??
Well, the whole story behind the Gene Kelly episode was that he didn't want to perform. He just wanted to relax and watch the show. He seemed to really enjoy it too. My favorite parts were when Gene was standing offstage with a bag of popcorn and laughing hysterically at what was happening on the stage. Remember that big gut laugh he made? That was awesome!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I can add a few to the list. There was Diana Ross. When Kermit said he would do "Pigs in Space." After he left, she said, "I hate 'Pigs in Space.' What am I doing on this crummy show." There was also a guest who was talking to her agent during the show's opening and said "You gotta work fast. I only have 15 seconds." I believe that was Lola Fanala.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think that was one of the ongoing jokes about the Muppet Show. Like all these celebrity's agents got them stuck doing this bizarre show. It's equally as funny though when there are guests who seem to fit right in and even out-weird the Muppets. Ex: Peter Sellers, Ruth Buzzi. Ruth Buzzi was like that when she was a regular on Sesame Street too. That is why I thought she was a good addition to the cast there because she was just a little more excentric and bizarre than the rest of the "straight" human cast. It was almost as if the comedic roles were reversed when she was sharing the screen with the Muppet. I love it!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Now, just to clarify, these are guests who just put on that they didn't want to be on the show, not the actor in real life disliking being in a Muppet production. Correct?
You are correct.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
<<It's equally as funny though when there are guests who seem to fit right in and even out-weird the Muppets. Ex: Peter Sellers, Ruth Buzzi>>

A few I can think of who fit that category are Steve Martin and Madeline Kahn. They seemed weirder than the Muppets at least in the opening scenes.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
did Martin do a version of his song King Tut? Even though he's a comedian he did have 1 song titled that witch was a goofy song he did back in 1973.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
No. I don't think he sang anything. I think he just tap danced and made balloon animals. I could be wrong though. I do remember seeing him on the ukelele. I'm not sure that was "King Tut" he sang though. I might want to check that again.