Gobo's Mother?

Beige Fraggle

Reaction score
In the episode "Born to Wander" (S3E15), the Storyteller tells the Fraggle Five about how Uncle Matt discovered the Gorg's Garden. In the flashback, we see young Matt, young Storyteller, Uncle Gobo, and a young female Fraggle named Molly.

Ever since I was a kid in the early 90s, I assumed Molly was Gobo's mother. She refers to the older Gobo as "Uncle", and her name sort of fits with Matt's, suggesting they are siblings. Matt and Molly. At least, that was my logic as a kid. The Storyteller also addresses Matt's uncle as Uncle Gobo, but I assumed she was merely being respectful. Molly is seen a lot in this episode, hanging around with either Uncle Gobo or the Storyteller.

Does anyone else think she could be Gobo's mother? Another relative? Or just some random Fraggle?

Streed

Reaction score
her name's Marly and I always assumed she was just another background Fraggle, there isn't any proof that she's gobo's mother and it's been established that even the other fraggles call Traveling Matt Uncle so it's reasonable to assume that those closest to Uncle Gobo would call him Uncle too, it's an intriguing theory but there's not weight here.

Beige Fraggle

Reaction score
I used to think her name was Marly too, based on the way Uncle Gobo said her name. Over time I thought maybe he was saying Molly instead. It's really hard to tell for sure.

Beige Fraggle

Reaction score
I checked the wiki, It's Marly for sure
That's possible, but technically anyone can edit that site.

There is still debate over one of the lyrics of the song "Dixie Wailin'", which suggests that the scripts for the original series are not available to the public, otherwise we would know these things for sure. The lyric in question was either "making music like a lifeline" or "making music like a light wine." I know the latter seems to make more sense, but it doesn't seem at all likely for wine to be mentioned in an 80's children's show, so it's hard to say. But then, there was an episode where radish beer was mentioned, so I guess that theory goes right out the window, huh? 🙃

As for that character's name, it really would have helped if at least one other character aside from Uncle Gobo had said her name, because his accent makes it hard to say for sure either way. I just figured Molly was far more likely than Marley as a female name, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who actually heard "Marley". 🙂 I thought it was just me!

Streed

Reaction score
That's possible, but technically anyone can edit that site.

There is still debate over one of the lyrics of the song "Dixie Wailin'", which suggests that the scripts for the original series are not available to the public, otherwise we would know these things for sure. The lyric in question was either "making music like a lifeline" or "making music like a light wine." I know the latter seems to make more sense, but it doesn't seem at all likely for wine to be mentioned in an 80's children's show, so it's hard to say. But then, there was an episode where radish beer was mentioned, so I guess that theory goes right out the window, huh? 🙃

As for that character's name, it really would have helped if at least one other character aside from Uncle Gobo had said her name, because his accent makes it hard to say for sure either way. I just figured Molly was far more likely than Marley as a female name, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who actually heard "Marley". 🙂 I thought it was just me!
I guess we'll never truly know, you say Molly, I say Marley :smile: